Our Organic Barley Grass is one of the most nutrient rich foods in nature. Barley grass is rich in protein and contains 20 amino acids, 12 vitamins and 13 minerals. The nutrition of barley grass is similar to that of wheatgrass though some prefer the taste. Our organic Barley Grass Juice Powder is an easy way to get the nutrition of this incredible green food.
Barley Grass Juice Powder should not be confused with regular Barley Grass Powder. Barley Grass Juice Powder is made by first juicing the Barley Grass and removing all of the cellulose so a pure juice concentrate is left. Then the juice is dehydrated into a powder. In contrast, whole Barley Grass Powder is made by drying the entire grass leaf and then milling it into a fine powder.
Organic barley grass is a powerful detoxifier of the liver, blood, and gastrointestinal tract while chemically neutralizing toxins. The enzymes and amino acids found in barley grass can help protect the body from free radicals and carcinogens. Barley grass also stimulates metabolism and the body's enzyme systems by enriching the blood and increasing red blood-cell count. It may also aid in reducing blood pressure by dilating the blood pathways throughout the body.
Barley grass is rich in protein and includes all eight of the essential amino acids, as well as 12 of the remaining 16 non essential amino acids. Besides containing most vitamins, minerals and an excellent source of living chlorophyll, organic barley grass has three other special components which make it particularly valuable:
● Superoxide Dismutase (SOD)
● P4D1 Enzyme
● Glycosaminoglycans (GAGs)
Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) - The aging process has been directly linked to decreasing amounts of SOD in our system. Increased amounts of SOD cause our body to repair itself quicker. Additionally SOD acts as an anti-inflammatory.
P4D1 Enzyme - P4D1 has been found to do two things in the human body. It is the first known substance to actually stimulate repair of DNA molecules. It is possible that disease cells can be repaired with P4D1 so that when they reproduce they will actually produce good cells. P4D1 has also been shown in laboratory tests to eat the protein sheath off a cancer cell so that the white blood cells can attack and destroy them.
Glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) - GAGs form an important component in the synovial fluid lubricant in body joints, and chondroitins which can be found in connective tissues, cartilage and tendons.
Some possible benefits of our Raw Organic Barley Grass Juice powder may include:
● Improving energy
● High antioxidants levels
● Improving digestion & regularity
● Alkalizing the internal body
● Rebuild the immune system
● Excellent source of Superoxide Dismutase (SOD)
● Providing raw building blocks for the hair, skin & nails
● Internal cleansing properties
● Promoting clear thinking
● Anti-aging properties
Suggested Use: Mix 1 teaspoon with juice, yogurt or add to your favorite smoothie.
Botanical Name: Hordeum Vulgare
Other Names: Mai ya, Pearl barley, Pot barley, Scotch barley
Origin: USA - Certified Organic
Z Natural Foods strives to offer the highest quality organically grown, raw, vegan, gluten free, non-GMO products available and exclusively uses low temperature drying techniques to preserve all the vital enzymes and nutrients. Our Raw Barley Grass Juice Powder is certified organic and passes our strict quality assurance which includes testing for botanical identity, heavy metals, chemicals and microbiological contaminants. ZNaturalFoods.com offers Organic Raw Barley Grass Juice Powder packaged in airtight stand-up, resealable foil pouches for optimum freshness. Once opened, just push the air out of the pouch before resealing it in order to preserve maximum potency. Keep your Raw Organic Barley Grass Juice Powder in a cool, dark, dry place.
1. Badamchian, M.; Naylor, P.H.; Spangelo, B.; Strickler, M.P.; Stone, M.J.; Hagiwara, Y.; Hagiwara, H.; and Goldstein, A.L. 1991. "Immune-endocrine Activities of Green Barley Leaf Extract (BLE): Regulation of Prolactin and Interleukin-2 Release in Vitro." FASEB Journal, Vol. 5, No. 4.
2. Badamchian, M.; Spangelo, B.; Bao, Y.; Hagiwara, Y.; Hagiwara, H.; Ueyama, H.; and Goldstein, A. 1994. "Isolation of a Vitamin E Analog From a Green Barley Leaf Extract That Stimulates Release of Prolactin and Growth Hormone From Rat Anterior Pituitary Cells in Vitro." The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, Vol. 5, March, 1994.
3. Hotta, Y. 1984. "Stimulation of DNA Repair-synthesis by P4-D I, One of the Novel Components of Barley Extracts." Lecture given in Honolulu, Hawaii.
4. Kitta, K.; Hagiwara, Y.; and Shibamoto, T. 1992. "Antioxidative Activity of an Isoflavonoid, 2"-O-Glycosylisovitexin Isolated From Green Barley Leaves." Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, Vol. 40, No. 10.
5. S. Nakajima, Y. Hagiwara, H. Hagiwara, and T. Shibamoto. Effect of the Antioxidant 2"-O-Glycosylisovitexin from young green barley leaves on acetaldehyde formation in beer stored at 50 °C for 90 days. 1998, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, Vol. 46 (4), 1529-1531.
6. Durham, J., Ogata, J., Nakajima, S., Hagiwara, Y., and Shibamoto, T. Degradation of organophosphorus pesticides in aqueous extracts of young green barley leaves (Hordeum vulgare L). 1999, J. of the Science of Food and Agriculture.
7. Kubota, K., and Sunagane, N. 1984. "Studies on the Effects of Green Barley Juice on the Endurance and Motor Activity in Mice." Paper presented at The 104th Annual Congress of The Pharmaceutical Society of Japan in Sendai City, Japan.
8. Kubota, K.; and Matsuoka, Y. 1984. "Effect of Chronic Administration of Green Barley Juice on Growth Rate, Serum Cholesterol Level, and Internal Organs of Mice." Paper presented at The 104th Annual Congress of The Pharmaceutical Society of Japan, Sendai City, Japan.
9. Kubota, K.; Matsuoka, Y.; and Seki, H. 1983. "Isolation of Potent Anti-Inflammatory Protein From Barley Leaves." The Japanese journal of Inflammation, Vol. 3, No. 4.
10. Moussazadeh, M.; Badamchian, M.; Hagiwara, Y.; Hagiwara, H.; and Goldstein, A. "Effect of Green Barley Leaf Extract (BLE) on Human Platelets in Vitro." Presentation at the 1992 FASEB (Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology), Anaheim, CA.
11. Muto, Tatsuo. 1977. "Therapeutic Experiment of Bakuryokuso(Young Green Barley Juice) for the Treatment of Skin Diseases in Man. " New Drugs and Clinical Application, Vol. 26, No. 5.
12. Nishiyama, Tadashi. "Study of Young Barley Leaf Extract: The Antioxidant Compound and Its Effect, July 1991 -June 1993." Unpublished study.
13. Nishiyama, T.; Hagiwara, Y.; Hagiwara, H.; and Shibamoto, T. 1993. "Inhibition of Malonaldehyde Formation from Lipids by an Isoflavonoid Isolated From Young Green Barley Leaves." Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society Vol. 70, No. 8.
14. Ohtake, H.; Nonaka, S.; Sawada, Y.; Hagiwara, Y.; Hagiwara, H.; and Kubota, K. 1985. "Studies on the Constituents of Green Juice From Young Barley Leaves (Effect on Dietarily Induced Hypercholesterolernia in Rats)." Journal of The Pharmaceutical Society of Japan, Vol. 105, No. 11.
15. Ohtake, H.; Yuasa, H.; Komura, C.; Miyauchi, T.; Hagiwara, Y.; and Kubota, K. 1985. "Studies on the Constituents of Green Juice From Young Barley Leaves (Anti-Ulcer Activity of Fractions From Barley Juice)." Journal of The Pharmaceutical Society of Japan, Vol. 105, No. 11.
16. Osawa, T.; Katsuzaki, H.; Hagiwara, Y.; Hagiwara, H.; and Shibamoto, T. 1992. "A Novel Antioxidant Isolated From Young Green Barley Leaves." Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, Vol. 40, No. 7. : 1135-1138
17. Shibamoto, T.; Hagiwara, Y.; Hagiwara, H.; and Osawa, 11994. "A Flavonoid With Strong Antioxidative Activity Isolated From Young Green Barley Leaves." Food Phytochemicals for Cancer Prevention IL Edited by Chi-Tang Ho, Toshihiko Osawa, Mou-Tuan Huany, and Robert T. Rosen. Washington, D.C: ACS Symposium Series. American Chemical Association.
18. Wagner, Eugene S. and Raman Mocharla. 1991. "Immune System Components Altered by a Food Supplement." Paper presented at the 1991 Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science February 16, 1991; Washington D.C. Those given the barley leaf extract exhibited a statistically significant increase in the percentage of their leukocytes that were neutrophils and in circulating complement levels as well as statistically significant decreases in percent lymphocytes and monocytes.
19. Yokono, 0. "Therapeutic Effect of Water-Soluble Form of Chlorophyll-A and the Related Substance the Young Green Barley juice in the Treatment of Patients with Chronic Pancreatitis." Published privately.
20. Gromley, James J. "Green leaves of barley ease arthritis for some" Better Nutrition for Today's Living , Sep95, Vol. 57 Issue 9, p42, 1p, 1c Reports on the beneficial effects of barley juice for arthritis sufferers. Harmful effects of aspirin or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs traditionally prescribed by doctors; Ancient origin of barley; Nutritional value of barley juice; Other medical conditions that can be treated with barley juice; Barley-producing states.
21. Murray, Frank " Unless you balance acidity, your muscles may become tense." Better Nutrition, Mar96, Vol. 58 Issue 3, p26, 1p, 1c Discusses the flexibility of muscles in terms of balancing acidity. How acidity is measured; Connection to exercise; Inhibitors of exercise; Explanations from Michael Colgan, Ph.D.; Benefits of barley juice.
22. "Green barley grass may help arthritics." Better Nutrition for Today's Living, Jul95, Vol. 57 Issue 7, p32, 1p, 1c
23. Reports that physicians have recommended green barley juice supplements as part of arthritis therapy. Response of patients to the barley treatments; Elimination of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
24. Yu YM; Wu CH; Tseng YH; Tsai CE; Chang WC "Antioxidative and hypolipidemic effects of barley leaf essence in a rabbit model of atherosclerosis." Japanese journal of pharmacology 2002 Jun; Vol. 89 (2), pp. 142-8. The results suggest that the antioxidant and hypolipidemic effects of barley leaf essence could be useful in the prevention of cardiovascular disease in which atherosclerosis is important.
25. Yu YM; Chang WC; Chang CT; Hsieh CL; Tsai CE "Effects of young barley leaf extract and antioxidative vitamins on LDL oxidation and free radical scavenging activities in type 2 diabetes. " Diabetes & metabolism [Diabetes Metab] 2002 Apr; 28 (2), pp. 107-14. Results indicate that supplementation with BL may help to scavenge oxygen free radicals, save the LDL-vitamin E content, and inhibit LDL oxidation. Furthermore, the addition of vitamins C and E to BL can inhibit the Sd-LDL oxidation more effectively, which may protect against vascular diseases in type 2 diabetic patients.
26. Janis J Durham, Joji Ogata, Sadatoshi Nakajima, Yoshihide Hagiwara, Takayuki Shibamoto; "Degradation of organophosphorus pesticides (malathion, chlorpyrifos, guthion, diazinon, methidathion and parathion) in aqueous extracts of young green barley leaves (Hordeum vulgare L)"; Department of Environmental Toxicology, University of California, Davis, CA 95616; Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture Volume 79, Issue 10, 1999, pages 1311-1314. An abstract is available at http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/62003336/START
27. Abrams Jann, and Janet Pauly, "A New Look At Barley Juice," December 12, 2005. Abrams:Barley juice 2005
28. Badamchian, M.; Spangelo, B.; Bao, Y.; Hagiwara, Y.; Hagiwara, H.; Ueyama, H.; and Goldstein, A. 1994. "Isolation of a Vitamin E Analog From a Green Barley Leaf Extract That Stimulates Release of Prolactin and Growth Hormone From Rat Anterior Pituitary Cells in Vitro." The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, Vol. 5, March, 1994.
29. Badamchian, M.; Naylor, P.H.; Spangelo, B.; Strickler, M.P.; Stone, M.J.; Hagiwara, Y.; Hagiwara, H.; and Goldstein, A.L. "Immune-endocrine Activities of Green Barley Leaf Extract (BLE): Regulation of Prolactin and Interleukin-2 Release in Vitro." FASEB Journal, 1991, Vol. 5, No. 4. [ Badamchian: barley activates immunity ]
30. BarleySuplements, Private company analysis of green grass barley products BarleySupplement analysis Bar-Sela Gil, Tsalic Medy, Fried Getta, Goldberg Hadassah. "Wheat Grass Juice May Improve Hematological Toxicity Related to Chemotherapy in Breast Cancer Patients: A Pilot Study," Nutrition and Cancer, 2007, Vol. 58, No. 1, Pages 43-48. [ Bar-Sela: wheat grass fights breast cancer 2007 ]
31. Ben-Arye E, Goldin E, Wengrower D, Stamper A, Kohn R, Berry E., "Wheat Grass Juice in the Treatment of Active Distal Ulcerative Colitis: A Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Trial," Scand J Gastroenterol 2002 April;37(4):444-9.
32. Birscher Dr., chlorophyll studies, Bircher-Benner Clinic, Zurich, Switzerland. A lot of web-sites reference Birscher but no one provides original documentation source.
33. Block Betsy, “Barley Grass”, NATURAL HEALTH Magazine, October 1999, pg. 44. Block: Barley grass 1999 "How green barley grass works: An antioxidant called alpha-tocopherol succinate - a potent relative of vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol) may be responsible for much of the plant's anti-tumor action, according to Allan L. Goldstein, Ph.D., head of the biochemistry department at George Washington University's School of Medicine and Health Sciences in Washington, D.C., who has studied barley grass. Though its mechanism is unknown, alpha-tocopherol succinate seems to inhibit several types of cancer, including leukemia, brain tumors, and prostate cancer."
34. Byrnes Chris, "Barleylife Fact Sheet, AIM, September 27, 2011. Byrnes: Barley fact sheet 2011
35. Calloway, D., Newell, G., Calhoun, W. and Munson, A., "Further studies of the influence of diet on radiosensitivity of guinea pigs, with special reference to broccoli and al Goldstein Allan L., George Washington University; the key to barley grass's anti-oxidant power appears to lie in alpha-tocopherol succinate. Goldstein says this substance is a relative of vitamin E and appears to inhibit several types of cancer, including leukemia, brain tumors and prostate cancer. "Barley grass leaf extract dramatically inhibits the growth of human prostatic cancer cells grown in tissue culture. ...It may provide a new nutritional approach to the treatment of prostate cancer." See rainforest reference for more information. [ Goldstein: Barley grass fights cancer ]
36. Gromley, James J., "Green leaves of barley ease arthritis for some" Better Nutrition for Today's Living , September 1995, Vol. 57 Issue 9, p42, 1p, 1c Reports on the beneficial effects of barley juice for arthritis sufferers. Harmful effects of aspirin or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs traditionally prescribed by doctors; Ancient origin of barley; Nutritional value of barley juice; Other medical conditions that can be treated with barley juice; Barley-producing states. [ Gromley: barley helps arthritis 1995 ]
37. Gruskin, B., "Chlorophyll — its therapeutic place in acute and suppurative disease," American Journal of Surgery, 1940, 49:49-55. "Dentistry: Chlorophyll solutions provide significant relief of pain, reduction of inflammation, and the control of odor for patients with serious mouth diseases" [ Gruskin: barley grass relieves pain ]
38. Hagiwara, Y. "Study on green juice powder of young barley (Hordeum vulgare L) leaves II: Effect on several food additives, agricultural chemicals, and a carcinogen," Presented at the 98th National Meeting of the Japanese Society of Pharmaceutical Science (1978).
39. Hagiwara, Y., Sayuki, S., Miyauchi, T., Otake,H., Abe, S., Kuramoto, M., and Takada, K., "Study on green barley extract," Presented at the 99th National Meeting of the Japanese Society of Pharmaceutical Science, Sapporo (1979). book: Green Barley Essence
40. Hotta Yasuo, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, November 2004. [ Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, Beltsville, MD, research ]. Research is trial study about barley grain fiber A; biologist named Yasuo Hotta from the University of California, La Jolla, found a substance called P4D1in barley grass. Not only does this substance have a strong anti-inflammatory action, but it was also shown to actually repair the DNA in the cells of the body. This aided in the prevention of cancer, aging, and cell death. He reported in a Japan Pharmacy Science Association meeting that P4D1 suppresses or cures pancreatitis, stomatitis, inflammation of the oral cavity, and dermatitis, and also lacerations of the stomach and duodenum. He found that barley juice is much stronger than steroid drugs but has fewer if any side effects. [ Hotta: barley repairs DNA 2004 ]
41. Jenkins D.J. et al, "Supplemental barley protein and casein similarly affect serum lipids in hypercholesterolemic women and men;," Journal of Nutrition, September 2010. Jenkins: barley & antioxidants 2010
42. Kiefer Dale, "Superoxide Dismutase Boosting the Body’s Primary Antioxidant Defense," Life Extension Magazine, June, 2006. Kiefer: SOD antioxidants 2006
43. Kimm, S., Tschai, B., and Park, S. , "Antimutagenic activity of chlorophyll to direct and indirect-acting mutagens and its contents in the vegetables," Korean Journal of Biochemistry, 1982, 14:1-7.
44. Lai, C., Butler, M., and Matney, T. . "Antimutagenic activities of common vegetables and their chlorophyll content," Mutation Research,1980, 77:245-250. "In 1980, Dr. Chiu Nan Lai at the University of Texas Medical Center, reported that extracts of wheat grass and other green vegetables inhibit the cancer-causing effects of two mutagens (benzopyrene and methylcholanthrene). The more chlorophyll in the vegetable, the greater the protection from the carcinogen." [ Lai wheat grass inhibits cancer 1980 ]
45. Liu WC, Tsai CE. "Young Barley Leaf Prevents LDL Oxidation in Humans," Food Science and Agricultural Chemistry [published by The Chinese Institute of Food Science and Technology] Vol. 4 (3): 110-116 (2002). l Liu: barley grass prevents oxidation ]
46. Lutz Howard, director of the Institute of Preventive Medicine in Washington, D.C., has said this about barley grass: "(Barley grass is) one of the most incredible products of this decade. It improves stamina, sexual energy, clarity of thought, and reduces addiction to things that are bad for you. It also improves the texture of the skin, and heals the dryness associated with aging." [ Lutz: Barley grass improves skin ]
47. Meyerowitz Steve, "Why wheatgrass is nature's finest medicine," DetoxifyNow. author of "Wheatgrass, Nature's Finest Medicine" Meyerowitz: wheat grass benefits
48. Miyake, T. and Shibamoto, T., "Inhibition of Malonaldehyde and acetaldehyde formation from blood plasma oxidation by naturally occurring antioxidants." J. of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 1998, Vol. 46 (9): 1135-1138.
49. Morter, M.T., "Benefits of Barley Grass Juice Powder," Morter: barley grass info Much of the information about Barley grass farming, harvesting, processing and reference documentation is hidden or missing from online website.
50. Alka Green was developed in the 1990s by Dr M.T. Morter, Jr., because he couldn't find a barley grass powder that met the five criteria that make a great barley powder. Morter claims that his Alka Green Barley Powder is: Organic; 100% Pure Barley; Juiced; Cold-Dried; Harvested young (at 10 inches).
51. Morter Health System Review, Diet Spotlight, Morter Hea Sys review
a. "There are two programs offered by the Morter Health System. One is called Family B.E. S. T. and is designed for families who want to learn about how to make the right lifestyle choices for better health. The other is the Professional B.E.S.T that is designed for health care professionals who want to learn how to share the information with their patients.
Morter Health System is a health care system that uses the sensory specific technique known as Bio Energetic Synchronization Technique (B.E.S.T.). The nutrition program is designed to help the body maintain an acid and alkaline balance which not only promotes weight loss, but overall health in general. The program also teaches guidelines for living your life by helping you learn how to make the right choices about what you eat, what you drink, how you exercise, how to sleep, what you think and what you breathe. This is known as the Six Essentials of Life."
52. Mukhopadhyay S., J. Basak, M. Kar, S. Mandal, A. Mukhopadhyay; Netaji Subhas "The Role of Iron Chelation Activity of Wheat Grass Juice in Patients with Myelodysplastic Syndrome," Journal of Clinical Oncology, 27:15s, 2009 (suppl; abstr 7012) 2009 ASCO Annual Meeting. Presenter: Soma Mukhopadhyay, PhD. Chandra Bose Cancer Research Institute, Kolkata, India; NRS Medical College, Kolkata, India; Central Institute for Research (Ayurveda), Kolkata, India. "Conclusion: The study found wheat grass juice to be an effective iron chelator and its use in reducing serum ferritin."
53. Muto, Tatsuo. 1977. "Therapeutic Experiment of Bakuryokuso(Young Green Barley Juice) for the Treatment of Skin Diseases in Man. " New Drugs and Clinical Application, Vol. 26, No. 5.
54. Nakajima, S., Hagiwara, Y., Hagiwara, H., and Shibamoto, T., "Effect of the Antioxidant 2"-O-Glycosylisovitexin from young green barley leaves on acetaldehyde formation in beer stored at 50 degree C for 90 days," , Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 1998, Vol. 46 (4): 1529-1531.
55. Yoshihide Hagiwara, a Japanese doctor and the founder of a company that sells barley grass, users should take 2 to 6 grams of barley grass powder two to three times per day. Ordinarily, users dissolve the powder in water or juice. Dr Hagiwara died in the spring of 2004 from cancer.
56. Ong, T., Whong, W., Stewart, J. and Brockman, H., "Chlorophyllin: a potent antimutagen against environmental and dietary complex mixtures," Mutation Research, 1986, 173:111-15.
57. Ong, T., Whong, W. Stewart, J., and Brockman, H., "Comparative antimutagenicity of 5 compounds against 5 mutagenic complex mixtures in Salmonella typhimurium strain TA98," Mutation Research, 1989, 222:19-25. "Ames testing shows that chlorophyllin neutralizes the cancer-causing action of mixtures of coal dust, tobacco, fried beef, red wine, and other compounds."
58. Osawa, T., Katsuzaki, H., Hagiwara, Y., and Shibamoto, T., " A novel antioxidant isolated from young green barley leaves," , J. of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 1992, Vol. 40 (7): 1135-1138.
59. Osawa, T.; Katsuzaki, H.; Hagiwara, Y.; Hagiwara, H.; and Shibamoto, T. "A Novel Antioxidant Isolated From Young Green Barley Leaves." Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 1992, Vol. 40, No. 7. : 1135-1138.
60. Osowski A. et al, " Natural compounds in the human diet and their ability to bind mutagens prevents DNA-mutagen intercalation," Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A, January, 2010. [ Osowski: prevent mutations 2010 ]
61. Perricone Nicholas, "Dr. Perricone's No. 3 Superfood: Barley," Energize Your Health, July 15, 2005. Perricone: barley super food 2005 "barley grass boosts good nutrition." Article taken from www.Oprah.com
62. Schnabel, C.. "The biologic value of high protein cereal grasses," Paper presented to the biologic section of the American Chemical Society in New York, April 22, 1935.
63. Seibold Ronald L., "Cereal grass What's in it for you! The Importance of Wheat Grass, Barley Grass and Other Green Vegetables in the Human Diet," Cereal Wheat Grass book, PINES International, Inc. Lawrence, Kansas. Seibold: ceral grass benefits Letter to The National Agricultural Hall of Fame,February 11, 2012 PINES Wheat Grass Pines store locations
64. Smith, L., "Chlorophyll: an experimental study of its water-soluble derivatives. Remarks on the history, chemistry, toxicity and anti-bacterial properties of water soluble chlorophyll derivatives as therapeutic agents," American Journal of the Medical Sciences, 1944, 207:647-654. Smith: chlorophyll therapy
"In hundreds of experiments and trials on humans and test animals, chlorophyll therapy has always been shown to have no toxic side effects. Not just low toxicity, NO toxicity--whether ingested, injected or rubbed onto a surface."
65. Smith, L., "The present status of topical chlorophyll therapy," The NY State Journal of Medicine. July 15, 1955, p. 2041-2049. "Chlorophyll heals wounds: chlorophyll limits the growth of many types of germs not by directly killing them, but by providing an environment which interferes with their growth. Chlorophyll is also known to reduce the itching, pain and local irritation of surface wounds. Chlorophyll was first scientifically demonstrated in the 1940s as an effective deodorizing agent. In the decade that followed, toilet paper, diapers, chewing gum, bedsheets, toothpastes, shoe liners, and a number of other products containing various amounts of green coloring and crude chlorophyll extracts began appearing on store shelves." [ Smith: chlorophyll reduces itching and pain 1955 ]
66. Spector, H. and Calloway, D., "Reduction of x-radiation mortality by cabbage and broccoli," Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine, 1959, 100:405-407. [ see Calloway ]
67. Tsai Ching-Min, Graduate Institute of Nutrition and Food Science, Fu Jen University. "dietary changes including daily supplementation with Barley may provide several important benefits for cardiovascular function"
68. Young, R. and Beregi, J., "Use of chlorophyllin in the care of geriatric patients," Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 1980, 28:46-47. Young: chlorophyll detoxifies human odors 1980 "Chlorophyll reduced offensive odors, as anticipated, promoted regular bowel movements in these patients and reduced the amount of intestinal gas experienced by the patients."
69. Yu Ym , Chang WC, Chang CT, Hsieh CL, and Tsai CE. Effects of barley leaf extract and antioxidative vitamins on LDL oxidation and free radical scavenging activities in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Metab Vol. 28 (2): 107-114 (2002).
70. Ym Yu, Chang WC, Liu CS and Tsai CM. "Effects of young barley leaf extract and adlay on plasma lipids and LDL oxidation in hyperlipidemic smokers," Biol. Pharm. Bull. 2004, Vol. 27 (6).
71. Yu YM; Chang WC; Chang CT; Hsieh CL; Tsai CE "Effects of young barley leaf extract and antioxidative vitamins on LDL oxidation and free radical scavenging activities in type 2 diabetes. " Diabetes & metabolism [Diabetes Metab] 2002 Apr; 28 (2), pp. 107-14. Results indicate that supplementation with BL may help to scavenge oxygen free radicals, save the LDL-vitamin E content, and inhibit LDL oxidation. Furthermore, the addition of vitamins C and E to BL can inhibit the Sd-LDL oxidation more effectively, which may protect against vascular diseases in type 2 diabetic patients.
72. Yu YM; Wu CH; Tseng YH; Tsai CE; Chang WC "Antioxidative and hypolipidemic effects of barley leaf essence in a rabbit model of atherosclerosis." Japanese journal of pharmacology 2002 Jun; Vol. 89 (2), pp. 142-8. The results suggest that the antioxidant and hypolipidemic effects of barley leaf essence could be useful in the prevention of cardiovascular disease in which atherosclerosis is important. [ Yu: barley leaf prevents CVD 2002 ]