Hemp seed has grown in popularity in the United States since the early '90s, but it may surprise many to know that this ancient food can be traced back thousands of years to Chinese, Egyptian, Persian and other cultures, where it was a highly revered food source.
It is clear from its discussions in ancient texts (like China's agricultural treatise, the Xia Xiao Zheng, from the 16th century BC) that hemp was once highly valued. Today, however, the nutritional makeup of hemp, described by some experts as a "superfood," is often overlooked in favor of other plant foods. But hemp seeds are in fact ripe with an impressive nutritional profile.
The seeds can be eaten raw, ground into a meal, made into hemp milk (similar to soy or almond milk), prepared as tea and used in baking. Hemp seed is a highly nutritious source of protein, better tasting and more digestible than the soybean. Hemp seeds are also free of the common allergens associated with soy, dairy, gluten and tree-nuts.
Rich in protein and delicious by the spoonful organic raw hemp seeds are chock full of nutrition. In fact, hemp seeds are one of the world's most nutritious seeds. They are high in vitamin E and contain all the essential amino acids and essential fatty acids necessary to maintain healthy human life. Adding to the benefit, hemp seed is one of only a few sources of beneficial gamma linolenic acid (GLA) and stearidonic acid (SDA). It has a balanced ratio of omega 3 to 6 fats at around a three to one ratio.
Protein: Hemp is about 33 percent protein, in an easily digestible form that contains 10 essential amino acids. This high protein content is comparable to that in soy, and higher than is found in nuts, other seeds, dairy products, meat, fish or poultry. Many people noted their personal experience of finding that hemp seed protein did not cause bloating or gas, like some other protein shakes did.
Fiber: Hemp seed flour has a fiber content of 40 percent, which is the highest of all flour grains.
Trace Minerals and Antioxidants: Along with the protein, essential fatty acids and fiber, hemp seed is also rich in antioxidants, such as vitamin E, and minerals, including magnesium, iron and zinc.
These are some of the advantages unique to raw hemp seeds
● All 20 amino acids, including the 9 essential amino acids (EAAs) our bodies cannot produce.
● A high protein percentage of the simple proteins that strengthen immunity & fend off toxins.
● Eating hemp seeds in any form could aid, if not heal, people suffering from immune deficiency diseases. This conclusion is supported by the fact that hemp seed has been used to treat nutritional deficiencies brought on by tuberculosis, a severe nutrition blocking disease that causes the body to waste away.
● Nature's highest botanical source of essential fatty acid, with more essential fatty acid than flax or any other nut or seed oil.
● A perfect 3:1 ratio of Omega-6 Linoleic Acid & Omega-3 Linolenic Acid for cardiovascular health & general strengthening of the immune system.
● A superior vegetarian source of protein considered easily digestible.
● A rich source of phytonutrients, the disease-protective element of plants with benefits protecting your immunity, bloodstream, tissues, cells, skin, organs & mitochondria.
● The richest known source of polyunsaturated essential fatty acids
Some possible benefits of our raw organic Hemp seeds may include:
● Promoting heart health
● Reducing the risk of cardiac arrest
● Maintaining normal cholesterol levels
● Delaying the neurologic effects of Alzheimer's & Parkinson's diseases
● Combating rheumatoid arthritis
● Fighting osteoporosis
● Reducing inflammation
● Treat atopic eczema & psoriasis
Suggested Use: Mix 2 tablespoons with smoothies, cereal, omelets, yogurt, soups, salads, or veggies.
Botanical Name: Cannabis sativa
Other Names: Hennep, Hanf, Chanvre
Origin: Canada - Certified Organic
Z Natural Foods strives to offer the highest quality organically grown, raw, vegan, gluten free, non-GMO products available and exclusively uses low temperature drying techniques to preserve all the vital enzymes and nutrients. Our Raw Shelled Hemp Seeds are certified organic and pass our strict quality assurance which includes testing for botanical identity, heavy metals, chemicals and microbiological contaminants. ZNaturalFoods.com offers Raw Organic Hemp Seeds packaged in airtight stand-up, resealable foil pouches for optimum freshness. Once opened, just push the air out of the pouch before resealing it in order to preserve maximum potency. Keep your Organic raw Shelled Hemp Seeds in a cool, dark, dry place.