Organic Raw Maca Root Powder Blend (black maca, red maca, yellow maca, white maca) possesses adaptogenic properties that enhances your ability to deal with stress while boosting energy, endurance and performance. A staple in the diet of the indigenous Andeans for centuries, Maca a relative of the turnip and grows at very high altitudes.
Our Organic Raw Maca Root powder is a blend of the yellow, red, and black maca root, giving it the combined benefits from all three varieties. Maca root contains, calcium, fatty acids and vitamins B1, B2, B12 and phosphorous. It also contains a variety of minerals and alkaloid. All these put together, give the body required share of nutrients. Maca can be used every day cooking, like a regular spice, to obtain maximum benefits.
Athletes have found Maca to be a natural endurance builder, due to its sterol and saponin content. Recent studies have identified four alkaloids present in Maca known to nourish the endocrine system, benefiting reproduction in both women and men.
Peruvian folklore suggests that maca, also known as 'Viagra of the Herbal Kingdom' is helpful for men with erectile dysfunction (ED), and animal studies in the laboratory have supported this. The evidence suggests that maca’s contribution to sexual performance comes about by gently and gradually reversing the underlying circulatory problem. Studies show that oral supplementation with maca repairs the bio-chemical cascade of events that makes penile arteries misbehave. The result is measurable improvement over time, without the health risks associated with prescription ED drugs.
The agonizing pain of monthly menstrual cycle, is something, that women can never get used to. Maca root is a natural remedy for menstrual cramps. Maca provides great relief from the common symptoms of monthly menstrual cycle, like, nausea, fatigue, headache, backache and the painful cramping.
A recent study using human cartilage found that maca almost triples cartilage's anabolic activity, even if there's current inflammation. When combined with the anti-inflammatory action of another Peruvian herb, cat's claw, the anabolic stimulation in the cartilage almost quadruples.
Some possible benefits of our Raw Organic Maca Root Powder Blend may include:
● A combination of benefits from yellow, black, & red maca
● Helping to reduce depression
● Increasing physical stamina, energy, & strength
● Helping regulate blood sugar
● Improving chronic fatigue conditions
● Combating erectile dysfunction
● Helping promote hormonal balance & well being for men & women of all ages
● Raising IGF (insulin-like growth factor) levels
● Decreasing menopause symptoms including thyroid & fibromyalgia issues
● Helping feed, nourish, & regulate the entire endocrine system of the body
● Increasing mental clarity & focus with continued use
● Strengthening the liver
● Helping boost libido & improve sexual function in men & women
● Adaptogenic actions
● Improving physical & emotional well being
● Enhancement fertility for men & women
● Regenerating cartilage & bones
● Increasing sperm count & testosterone levels
● High levels of alkaloids, steroids, saponins, glucosinolates, cardiotonic glycosides, tannins
Suggested Use: Mix 1 - 2 teaspoons with juice, yogurt or in your favorite smoothie.
Botanical Name: Lepidium Peruvianum Chacon
Other Names: Peruvian Ginseng, Maca-maca, maino, ayak chichira, and ayak willku
Ingredients: Organic Maca Root Powder.
Origin: Peru - Certified Organic
Z Natural Foods strives to offer the highest quality organically grown, raw, vegan, gluten free, non-GMO products available and exclusively uses low temperature drying techniques to preserve all the vital enzymes and nutrients. Our raw Maca Root powder blend is certified organic and passes our strict quality assurance which includes testing for botanical identity, heavy metals, chemicals and microbiological contaminants. ZNaturalFoods.com offers raw Organic Maca Root powder packaged in airtight stand-up, resealable foil pouches for optimum freshness. Once opened, just push the air out of the pouch before resealing it in order to preserve maximum potency. Keep your Organic raw Maca Root powder blend in a cool, dark, dry place.
1. Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim 1959
2. Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable 1974 ISBN 0094579202
3. Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications 1990 ISBN 0-9628087-0-9
4. Low. T. Wild Food Plants of Australia. Angus and Robertson. 1989 ISBN 0-207-14383-8
5. Popenoe. H. et al Lost Crops of the Incas National Academy Press 1990 ISBN 0-309-04264-X
6. Tahraoui A, El-Hilaly J, Israili ZH, Lyoussi B., Ethnopharmacological survey of plants used in the traditional treatment of hypertension and diabetes in south-eastern Morocco (Errachidia province). J Ethnopharmacol. 2006 Sep 23
7. Gonzales GF, Valerio LG Jr., Medicinal plants from Peru: a review of plants as potential agents against cancer. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2006 Sep;6(5):429-44
8. Rubio J, Caldas M, Davila S, Gasco M, Gonzales GF., Effect of three different cultivars of Lepidium meyenii (Maca) on learning and depression in ovariectomized mice.BMC Complement Altern Med. 2006 Jun 23;6:23.
9. Rubio J, Riqueros MI, Gasco M, Yucra S, Miranda S, Gonzales GF., Lepidium meyenii (Maca) reversed the lead acetate induced damage on reproductive function in male rats. Food Chem Toxicol. 2006 Jul;44(7):1114-22. Epub 2006 Feb 28.
10. Zhang Y, Yu L, Ao M, Jin W., Effect of ethanol extract of Lepidium meyenii Walp. on osteoporosis in ovariectomized rat. J Ethnopharmacol. 2006 Apr 21;105(1-2):274-9. Epub 2006 Feb 8.
11. Gonzales C, Rubio J, Gasco M, Nieto J, Yucra S, Gonzales GF., Effect of short-term and long-term treatments with three ecotypes of Lepidium meyenii (MACA) on spermatogenesis in rats., J Ethnopharmacol. 2006 Feb 20;103(3):448-54. Epub 2005 Sep 19.
12. Chung F, Rubio J, Gonzales C, Gasco M, Gonzales GF., Dose-response effects of Lepidium meyenii (Maca) aqueous extract on testicular function and weight of different organs in adult rats., J Ethnopharmacol. 2005 Apr 8;98(1-2):143-7.
13. Ruiz-Luna AC, Salazar S, Aspajo NJ, Rubio J, Gasco M, Gonzales GF., Lepidium meyenii (Maca) increases litter size in normal adult female mice., Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2005 May 3;3:16.
14. Bustos-Obregon E, Yucra S, Gonzales GF., Lepidium meyenii (Maca) reduces spermatogenic damage induced by a single dose of malathion in mice., Asian J Androl. 2005 Mar;7(1):71-6.
15. Effects of different varieties of Maca (Lepidium meyenii) on bone structure in ovariectomized rats. Gonzales C, Cárdenas-Valencia I, Leiva-Revilla J, Anza-Ramirez C, Rubio J, Gonzales GF. Forsch Komplementmed. 2010;17(3):137-43. Epub 2010 Jun 16. PMID: 20616517 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE
16. Influence of colour type and previous cultivation on secondary metabolites in hypocotyls and leaves of maca (Lepidium meyenii Walpers). Clément C, Diaz Grados DA, Avula B, Khan IA, Mayer AC, Ponce Aguirre DD, Manrique I, Kreuzer M. J Sci Food Agric. 2010 Apr 15;90(5):861-9. PMID: 20355123
17. Effect of different fractions from hydroalcoholic extract of Black Maca (Lepidium meyenii) on testicular function in adult male rats. Yucra S, Gasco M, Rubio J, Nieto J, Gonzales GF. Fertil Steril. 2008 May;89(5 Suppl):1461-7. Epub 2007 Jul 31. PMID: 17669402
18. Aqueous and hydroalcoholic extracts of Black Maca (Lepidium meyenii) improve scopolamine-induced memory impairment in mice. Rubio J, Dang H, Gong M, Liu X, Chen SL, Gonzales GF. Food Chem Toxicol. 2007 Oct;45(10):1882-90. Epub 2007 Apr 20. PMID: 17543435
19. Valentova K, Ulrichova J. Smallanthus sonchifolius and Lepidium meyenii - prospective Andean crops for the prevention of chronic diseases. Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub 2003;147:119–30.
20. Smith E. Maca root: Modern rediscovery of an ancient Andean fertility food. J Amer Herbalists Guild 2003;4:15–21.
21. Piacente S, Carbone V, Plaza A, Zampelli A, Pizza C. Investigation of the tuber constituents of maca (Lepidium meyenii Walp.). J Agric Food Chem 2002;50:5621–5.
22. Gonzales GF, Cordova A, Vega K, et al. Effect of Lepidium meyenii (maca) on sexual desire and its absent relationship with serum testosterone levels in adult healthy men. Andrologia 2002;34:367–72.
23. Gonzales GF, Cordova A, Vega K, et al. Effect of Lepidium meyenii (maca), a root with aphrodisiac and fertility-enhancing properties, on serum reproductive hormone levels in adult healthy men. J Endocrinol 2003;176:163–8.
24. Gonzales GF, Cordova A, Gonzales C, et al. Lepidium meyenii (maca) improved semen parameters in adult men. Asian J Androl 2001;3:301–3.
25. Cicero AF, Piacente S, Plaza A, et al. Hexanic maca extract improves rat sexual performance more effectively than methanolic and chloroformic maca extracts. Andrologia 2002;34:177–9.
26. Gonzales GF, Ruiz A, Gonzales C, et al. Effect of Lepidium meyenii (maca) roots on spermatogenesis of male rats. Asian J Androl 2001;3:231–3.
27. Ruiz-Luna AC, Salazar S, Aspajo NJ, et al. Lepidium meyenii (maca) increases litter size in normal adult female mice. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2005;3:16.
28. Lopez-Fando A, Gomez-Serranillos MP, Iglesias I, et al. Lepidium peruvianum Chacon restores homeostasis impaired by restraint stress. Phytother Res 2004;18:471–4.
29. Gonzales GF, Miranda S, Nieto J, et al. Red maca (Lepidium meyenii) reduced prostate size in rats. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2005;3:5.
30. Gonzales GF, Cordova A, Gonzales C, et al. Lepidium meyenii (maca) improved semen parameters in adult men. Asian J Androl 2001;3:301–3.
31. Williams RE, Kalilani L, DiBenedetti DB, Zhou X, Fehnel SE, Clark RV. Healthcare seeking and treatment for menopausal symptoms in the United States. Maturitas. 2007 Dec 20;58(4):348-58.
32. Rossouw JE, Anderson GL, Prentice RL, et al. Risks and benefits of estrogen plus progestin in healthy postmenopausal women: principal results From the Women’s Health Initiative randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2002 Jul 17;288(3):321-33.
33. Anderson GL, Limacher M, Assaf AR, et al. Effects of conjugated equine estrogen in postmenopausal women with hysterectomy: the Women’s Health Initiative randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2004 Apr 14;291(14):1701-12.
34. Chlebowski RT, Kuller LH, Prentice RL, et al. Breast cancer after use of estrogen plus progestin in postmenopausal women. N Engl J Med. 2009 Feb 5;360(6):573-87.
35. Therapeutic Effects of Pre-Gelatinized Maca (Lepidium peruvianum Chacon) used as a non-hormonal alternative to HRT in perimenopausal women-Clinical Pilot Study. Int J Biomed Sci. 2006 Jun;2(2):143-59.
36. Balick MJ, Lee R. Maca: from traditional food crop to energy and libido stimulant. Altern Ther Health Med. 2002 Mar-Apr;8(2):96-8.
37. Gonzales GF, Córdova A, Vega K, Chung A, Villena A, Góñez C, Castillo S. Effect of Lepidium meyenii (MACA) on sexual desire and its absent relationship with serum testosterone levels in adult healthy men. Andrologia. 2002 Dec;34(6):367-72.
38. Comhaire FH, Mahmoud A. The role of food supplements in the treatment of the infertile man. Reprod Biomed Online. 2003 Oct-Nov;7(4):385-91.
39. Wang Z, Yang J, Wang G, Bian L. Influence of Lepidium meyemii walp on lipid and bone mass in ovariectomized rats.Wei Sheng Yan Jiu. 2009 Jul;38(4):420-2, 425.
40. Zheng BL, He K, Kim CH, et al. Effect of a lipidic extract from lepidium meyenii on sexual behavior in mice and rats. Urology. 2000 Apr;55(4):598-602.
41. Meissner HO, Mscisz A, Reich-Bilinska H, et al. Hormone-balancing effect of pre-gelatinized organic Maca (Lepidium peruvianum Chacon): (II) physiological and symptomatic responses of early-postmenopausal women to standardized doses of Maca in double blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, multi-centre clinical study. Int J Biomed Sci. 2006 Dec 15;2(4):360-74.
42. Meissner HO, Kedzia B, Mrozikiewicz P, Mscisz A. Short and long-term physiological responses of male and female rats to two dietary levels of pre-gelatinized Maca (Lepidium Peruvianum Chacon). Int J Biomed Sci. 2006 Feb 15;2(1):15-29.
43. Meissner HO, Mrozikiewicz P, Bobkiewicz-Kozlowska T, et al. Hormone-balancing effect of pre-gelatinized organic Maca (Lepidium peruvianum Chacon): (I) biochemical and pharmacodynamic study on Maca using clinical laboratory model on ovariectomized rats. Int J Biomed Sci. 2006 Sept 15;2(3):260-84.
44. Lopez-Fando A, Gomez-Serranillos MP, Iglesias I, Lock O, Upamayta UP, Carretero ME. Lepidium peruvianum chacon restores homeostasis impaired by restraint stress. Phytother Res. 2004 Jun;18(6):471-4.
45. Ruiz-Luna AC, Salazar S, Aspajo NJ, Rubio J, Gasco M, Gonzales GF. Lepidium meyenii (Maca) increases litter size in normal adult female mice. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2005 May 3;3:16.
46. Zhang Y, Yu L, Ao M, Jin W. Effect of ethanol extract of Lepidium meyenii Walp. on osteoporosis in ovariectomized rat. J Ethnopharmacol. 2006 Apr 21;105(1-2):274-9.
47. Tellez MR, Khan IA, Kobaisy M, Schrader KK, Dayan FE, Osbrink W. Composition of the essential oil of Lepidium meyenii (Walp). Phytochemistry. 2002 Sep;61(2):149-55.
48. Valentova K, Buckiova D, Kren V, Peknicova J, Ulrichova J, Simanek V. The in vitro biological activity of Lepidium meyenii extracts. Cell Biol Toxicol. 2006 Mar;22(2):91-9.
49. Vecera R, Orolin J, Skottova N, et al. The influence of maca (Lepidium meyenii) on antioxidant status, lipid and glucose metabolism in rat. Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2007 Jun;62(2):59-63.
50. Rubio J, Dang H, Gong M, Liu X, Chen SL, Gonzales GF. Aqueous and hydroalcoholic extracts of Black Maca (Lepidium meyenii) improve scopolamine-induced memory impairment in mice. Food Chem Toxicol. 2007 Oct;45(10):1882-90.
51. Lockhart IA, Mitchell SA, Kelly S. Safety and tolerability of donepezil, rivastigmine and galantamine for patients with Alzheimer’s disease: systematic review of the ‘real-world’ evidence. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2009;28(5):389-403.
52. Rubio J, Qiong W, Liu X, et al. Aqueous extract of black Maca (Lepidium meyenii) on memory impairment induced by ovariectomy in mice. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2008 Oct 9.
53. Wang Z, Yang J, Wang G, Bian L. Influence of Lepidium meyemii walp on lipid and bone mass in ovariectomized rats. Wei Sheng Yan Jiu. 2009 Jul;38(4):420-2, 25.
54. Gonzales-Castaneda C, Gonzales GF. Hypocotyls of Lepidium meyenii (maca), a plant of the Peruvian highlands, prevent ultraviolet A-, B-, and C-induced skin damage in rats. Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed. 2008 Feb;24(1):24-31.
55. Meissner HO, Kapczynski W, Mscisz A, Lutomski J. Use of gelatinized Maca (Lepidium peruvianum) in early postmenopausal women – a pilot study. Int J Biomed Sci. 2005 Jun 15;1(1):33-45.
56. Meissner HO, Mscisz A, Reich-Bilinska H, et al. Hormone-balancing effect of pre-gelatinized organic Maca (Lepidium peruvianum Chacon): (III) clinical responses of early-postmenopausal women to Maca in double blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, crossover configuration, outpatient study. Int J Biomed Sci. 2006 Dec 15;2(4):375-94.
57. Brooks NA, Wilcox G, Walker KZ, Ashton JF, Cox MB, Stojanovska L. Beneficial effects of Lepidium meyenii (Maca) on psychological symptoms and measures of sexual dysfunction in postmenopausal women are not related to estrogen or androgen content. Menopause. 2008 Nov-Dec;15(6):1157-62.
58. Dording CM, Fisher L, Papakostas G, et al. A double-blind, randomized, pilot dose-finding study of maca root (L. meyenii) for the management of SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction. CNS Neurosci Ther. 2008 Fall;14(3):182-91.