The non-GMO Reishi or Lingzhi mushroom is well known for its immune supporting capabilities. In ancient China it was referred to as the mushroom of immortality and eaten exclusively by royalty due to it rarity. Medicinal use of Reishi dates back over 4000 years.
Chinese and Japanese herbalists have traditionally recommended Reishi mushrooms for insomnia. Long-term use may possibly influence their sleep-promoting factors as it increases slow-wave sleep.
Other studies report that Red Reishi may support both both neurological and mental well being
In Japan, the root-like body that produces mushrooms, known as the dried mycelium, has been found to be highly effective in supporting conditions related to environmental stress.
Red Reishi is `primarily composed of complex carbohydrates called water-soluble polysaccharides, triterpenoids, proteins and amino acids. Researchers have identified that water-soluble polysaccharides are the most active element found in Red Reishi and may support a healthy immune system.
Another major active ingredient found in Red Reishi are triterpenes, called ganoderic acids. Preliminary studies indicated that ganoderic acids may as well support healthy immune and liver functions. Generally, Reishi is known as an adaptogen, immune modulator and a general tonic.
Some possible traditional uses of Pure Red Reishi (Lingzhi) Mushroom Powder may include:
● May support all organs to function normally
● May support healthy liver function, processes of elimination
● May support healthy heart function, & integrity of vascular system
● May support respiratory health
● Supports healthy sleep habits
● Promoting healthy brain well being
● May support healthy blood circulation
● May reduce frequency of anxiety & panic attacks
● Supports a healthy immune response
● May Reduce the occurrence of uncontrolled cellular division & mutation
● Bronchitis-preventative effect, inducing regeneration of bronchial epithelium
● Possible Anti-inflammatory, Anti-allergic, Analgesic properties
● Antioxidant, by eliminating hydroxyl free radicals
● Possible Antiviral effect, by inducing interferon production
● May support marrow nucleated cell proliferation
● General immunopotentiation
● Improving adrenal function
● May support healthy blood pressure levels
Suggested Use: Take 1 teaspoon once daily.
Botanical Name: Ganoderma lucidum
Other Names: Ling Chi, Ling Zhi, Mannentake, Phantom mushroom
Ingredients: Red Reishi Mushroom Extract.
Z Natural Foods strives to offer the highest quality organically grown, raw, vegan, gluten free, non-GMO products available and exclusively uses low temperature drying techniques to preserve all the vital enzymes and nutrients. Our Pure Red Reishi (Lingzhi) Mushroom Powder is cultivated without chemicals in a traditional manner by Chinese herbalists. This product passes our strict quality assurance which includes testing for botanical identity, heavy metals, chemicals and microbiological contaminants. ZNaturalFoods.com offers Pure Red Reishi (Lingzhi) Mushroom Powder packaged in airtight stand-up, resealable foil pouches for optimum freshness. Once opened, just push the air out of the pouch before resealing it in order to preserve maximum potency. Keep your Pure Red Reishi (Lingzhi) Mushroom Powder in a cool, dark, dry place.
1. Willard, T., 1990. The Reishi Mushroom: Herb of Spiritual Potency and Medical Wonder. Sylvan Press.
2. Matsomoto, K., 1979. The Mysterious Reishi Mushroom. Santa Barbara: Woodbridge Press Publishing Company.
3. Carlson, J., 1996. Reishi Mushroom. New Editions Health World, pp: 23-25.
4. Komoda, Y., M. Shimizu and Y. Sonoda, 1989. Ganoderic acid and its derivatives as cholesterol synthesis inhibitors; Chem. Pharm. Bull, 37(2): 531-533.
5. Stamens, P., 2000. Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms, 3rd Ed; Ten Speed Press.
6. Zhou, X., J. Lin, Y. Yin, J. Zhao, X. Sun and K. Tang, 2007. Ganodermataceae: natural products and their related pharmacological functions. Am. J. Chin. Med.,
7. Wasser, S.P. and A.L. Weis, 1999. Therapeutic effects of substances occurring in higher Basidiomycetes mushrooms: a modern perspective. Crit Rev. Immunol., 19(1): 65-96.
8. Chang, H. M. and P. P. H. But, “Pharmacology and Applications of Chinese Materia Medica, vol. 1 (Singapore: World Scientific Company 1987) 144-146
9. Haak-Frendscho, M., K. Kino, T. Sone et al. “Ling Zhi-8: A Novel T-Cell Mitogen Induces Cytokine Production and Upregulation of ICAM-1 Expression” Cellular Immunology 150(1) 1993; 101-113
10. Hobbs, Christopher and Michael Miovic ed. Medical Mushrooms: AN Exploration of Tradition, Healing and Culture, 2nd ed. (Santa Cruz: Botanical Press) 1995. p.104
11. Kohda, H., W. Tokumoto, K. Sakamoto, et al. “The Biologically Active Constituents of Ganoderma Lucidum (Fr.) Karst. Histamine Release-Inhibitory Triterpenes”, Chemical Pharmacy Bulletin 33 (1985) 1367-1374
12. Lei, L and Z. Lin, “Effect of Ganoderma Polysaccharides on the Activity of DNA Polymerase in Spleen Cells Stimulated by Alloantigens in Mice in Vitro” Beijing Yike Daxue Xuebao [Journal of Beijing Medical University] 23 (1991) 329–333
13. Matsumoto, K-Osai, The Mysterious Reishi Mushroom (Santa Barbara: Woodbridge Press 1979)
14. Toth, J. O., et al., “Les Acides Ganoderques T a Z: Triteroenes Cytotoxique de Ganoderma lucidum (Polyporacee) Thetracedron letters 24 (1983) 1081-1084
15. Kenneth J. REISHI: Ancient herb for modern times. Sylvan Press, 1992.
16. Wasson RG. Divine mushroom of immortality. Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovich, Los Angeles, 80-93, 1968.
17. "Lingzhi". In Pharmacology and Application of Chinese Materia Medica, Vol. I. Chang HM and But RPH, eds. World Scientific: Singapore, 642, 1986.
18. Stanislaus CS. LingzhiMedicine of Kings. New Editions Health World, 38-41, June, 1995.
19. Carlson J. Reishi Mushroom. New Editions Health World, 23-25, April, 1996.
20. Stavinoha WB, et al. Study of the anti-inflammatory activity of Ganoderma lucidum. Presented at the Third Academic/Industry Joint Conference (AIJC), Sapporo, Japan, 1990.
21. Lin JM, Lin CC, Chiu HF, Yang JJ, and Lee SG. Evaluation of the anti-inflammatory and liver protective effects of anoectochilus formosanus ganoderma lucidum and gynostemma pentaphyllum in rats. Am J Chi Med, 1:59-69, 1993. 3215, 1985.
22. Zhang, L. X., H. Mong and X. B. Zhou, “Effect of Japanese Ganoderma Lucidum (GL) Planted in Japan on the Production of Interleukin-2 from Murine Splenocytes”, Chung_kuo Chung His I Chieh Ho Tsa Chih [Chinese Journal of Modern Developments in Traditional Medicine] 10(11) 1993; 672-674
23. Kenneth J. REISHI: Ancient herb for modern times. Sylvan Press, 1992.
24. Wasson RG. Divine mushroom of immortality. Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovich, Los Angeles, 80-93, 1968.
25. "Lingzhi". In Pharmacology and Application of Chinese Materia Medica, Vol. I. Chang HM and But RPH, eds. World Scientific: Singapore, 642, 1986.
26. Stanislaus CS. Lingzhi Medicine of Kings. New Editions Health World, 38-41, June, 1995.
27. Carlson J. Reishi Mushroom. New Editions Health World, 23-25, April, 1996.
28. Stavinoha WB, et al. Study of the anti-inflammatory activity of Ganoderma lucidum. Presented at the Third Academic/Industry Joint Conference (AIJC), Sapporo, Japan, 1990.
29. Lin JM, Lin CC, Chiu HF, Yang JJ, and Lee SG. Evaluation of the anti-inflammatory and liver protective effects of anoectochilus formosanus ganoderma lucidum and gynostemma pentaphyllum in rats. Am J Chi Med, 1:59-69, 1993. 3215, 1985.
30. Liu J , Shimizu K , Konishi F , Kumamoto S , Kondo R . The anti-androgen effect of ganoderol B isolated from the fruiting body of Ganoderma lucidum . Bioorg Med Chem. 2007 ; 15 ( 14 ): 4966-4972.
31. Lininger SW, Wright JV, et al, eds. The Natural Pharmacy . Rocklin, CA: Prima Publishing; 1998:303-304.
32. Zhou X , Lin J , Yin Y , Zhao J , Sun X , Tang K . Ganodermataceae: natural products and their related pharmacological functions . Am J Chin Med . 2007 ; 35 ( 4 ): 559-574.
33. Matsumoto K . The Mysterious Reishi Mushroom . Santa Barbara, CA: Woodbridge Press Publishing; 1979.
34. Li EK , Tam LS , Wong CK , et al. Safety and efficacy of Ganoderma lucidum (lingzhi) and San Miao San supplementation in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled pilot trial . Arthritis Rheum . 2007; 57 ( 7 ): 1143-1150.
35. Paterson RR . Ganoderma—a therapeutic fungal biofactory . Phytochemistry . 2006 ; 67 ( 18 ): 1985-2001.
36. Miyazaki T , Nishijima M . Studies on fungal polysaccharides. XXVII. Structural examination of a water-soluble, antitumor polysaccharide of Ganoderma lucidum . Chem Pharm Bull . 1981 ; 29 ( 12 ): 3611-3616.
37. Kohda H , Tokumoto W , Sakamoto K , et al. The biologically active constituents of Ganoderma lucidum (Fr.) Karst. Histamine release-inhibitory triterpenes . Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 1985 ; 33 ( 4 ): 1367-1374.
38. Zhu M , Chang Q , Wong LK , Chong FS , Li RC . Triterpene antioxidants from Ganoderma lucidum . Phytother Res . 1999 ; 13 ( 6 ): 529-531.
39. Hajjaj H , Macé C , Roberts M , Niederberger P , Fay LB . Effect of 26-oxygenosterols from Ganoderma lucidum and their activity as cholesterol synthesis inhibitors . Appl Environ Microbiol . 2005 ; 71 ( 7 ): 3653-3658.
40. Tang W , Liu JW , Zhao WM , Wei DZ , Zhong JJ . Ganoderic acid T from Ganoderma lucidum mycelia induces mitochondria mediated apoptosis in lung cancer cells . Life Sci . 2006 ; 80 ( 3 ): 205-211.
41. Mizushina Y , Takahashi N , Hanashima L , et al. Lucidenic acid O and lactone, new terpene inhibitors of eukaryotic DNA polymerases from a basidiomycete, Ganoderma lucidum . Bioorg Med Chem . 1999 ; 7 ( 9 ): 2047-2052.
42. Cheong J , Jung W , Park W . Characterization of an alkali-extracted peptidoglycan from Korean Ganoderma lucidum . Arch Pharm Res . 1999 ; 22 ( 5 ): 515-519.
43. D'Souza TM , Merritt CS , Reddy CA . Lignin-modifying enzymes of the white rot basidiomycete Ganoderma lucidum . Appl Environ Microbiol . 1999 ; 65 ( 12 ): 5307-5313.
44. Lin ZB , Zhang HN . Anti-tumor and immunoregulatory activities of Ganoderma lucidum and its possible mechanisms. Acta Pharmacol Sin . 2004 ; 25 ( 11 ): 1387-1395.
45. Yuen JW , Gohel MD . Anticancer effects of Ganoderma lucidum : a review of scientific evidence . Nutr Cancer . 2005 ; 53 ( 1 ): 11-17.
46. Kuo MC , Weng CY , Ha CL , Wu MJ . Ganoderma lucidum mycelia enhance innate immunity by activating NF-kappaB . J Ethnopharmacol . 2006 ; 103 ( 2 ): 217-222.
47. Müller CI , Kumagai T , O'Kelly J , Seeram NP , Heber D , Koeffler HP . Ganoderma lucidum causes apoptosis in leukemia, lymphoma and multiple myeloma cells . Leuk Res . 2006 ; 30 ( 7 ): 841-848.
48. Sliva D . Ganoderma lucidum in cancer research . Leuk Res . 2006 ; 30 ( 7 ): 767-768.
49. Kim HS , Kacew S , Lee BM . In vitro chemopreventive effects of plant polysaccharides ( Aloe barbadensis miller , Lentinus edodes , Ganoderma lucidum and Coriolus versicolor ) . Carcinogenesis . 1999 ; 20 ( 8 ): 1637-1640.
50. Gao Y , Gao H , Chan E , et al. Antitumor activity and underlying mechanisms of ganopoly, the refined polysaccharides extracted from Ganoderma lucidum , in mice . Immunol Invest . 2005 ; 34 ( 2 ): 171-198.
51. Pang X , Chen Z , Gao X , et al. Potential of a novel polysaccharide preparation (GLPP) from Anhui-grown Ganoderma lucidum in tumor treatment and immunostimulation . J Food Sci . 2007 ; 72 ( 6 ): S435-S442.
52. Zhu XL , Lin ZB . Effects of Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides on proliferation and cytotoxicity of cytokine-induced killer cells . Acta Pharmacol Sin . 2005 ; 26 ( 9 ): 1130-1137.
53. Lin YL , Lee SS , Hou SM , Chiang BL . Polysaccharide purified from Ganoderma lucidum induces gene expression changes in human dendritic cells and promotes T helper 1 immune response in BALB/c mice . Mol Pharmacol . 2006 ; 70 ( 2 ): 637-644.
54. Lin YL , Liang YC , Lee SS , Chiang BL . Polysaccharide purified from Ganoderma lucidum induced activation and maturation of human monocyte-derived dendritic cells by the NF-kappaB and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways . J Leukoc Biol . 2005 ; 78 ( 2 ): 533-543.
55. Li YQ , Wang SF . Anti-hepatitis B activities of ganoderic acid from Ganoderma lucidum . Biotechnol Lett . 2006 ; 28 ( 11 ): 837-841.
56. Lin KI , Kao YY , Kuo HK , et al. Reishi polysaccharides induce immunoglobulin production through the TLR4/TLR2-mediated induction of transcription factor Blimp-1 . J Biol Chem . 2006 ; 281 ( 34 ): 24111-24123.
57. Chan WK , Lam DT , Law HK , et al. Ganoderma lucidum mycelium and spore extracts as natural adjuvants for immunotherapy . J Altern Complement Med . 2005 ; 11 ( 6 ): 1047-1057.
58. Lin ZB . Cellular and molecular mechanisms of immuno-modulation by Ganoderma lucidum . J Pharmacol Sci . 2005 ; 99 ( 2 ): 144-153.
59. Yue GG , Fung KP , Tse GM , Leung PC , Lau CB . Comparative studies of various ganoderma species and their different parts with regard to their antitumor and immunomodulating activities in vitro . J Altern Complement Med . 2006 ; 12 ( 8 ): 777-789.
60. Tang W , Gao Y , Chen G , et al. A randomized, double-blind and placebo-controlled study of a Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharide extract in neurasthenia . J Med Food . 2005 ; 8 ( 1 ): 53-58.
61. Cao QZ , Lin ZB . Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides peptide inhibits the growth of vascular endothelial cell and the induction of VEGF in human lung cancer cell . Life Sci . 2006 ; 78 ( 13 ): 1457-1463.
62. Stanley G , Harvey K , Slivova V , Jiang J , Sliva D . Ganoderma lucidum suppresses angiogenesis through the inhibition of secretion of VEGF and TGF-beta1 from prostate cancercells . Biochem Biophys Res Commun . 2005 ; 330 ( 1 ): 46-52.
63. Kim KC , Kim JS , Son JK , Kim IG . Enhanced induction of mitochondrial damage and apoptosis in human leukemia HL-60 cells by the Ganoderma lucidum and Duchesnea chrysantha extracts . Cancer Lett . 2007 ; 246 ( 1-2 ): 210-217.
64. Gao Y , Tang W , Dai X , et al. Effects of water-soluble Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides on the immune functions of patients with advanced lung cancer . J Med Food . 2005 ; 8 ( 2 ): 159-168.
65. Gao Y , Zhou S , Jiang W , Huang M , Dai X . Effects of ganopoly (a Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharide extract) on the immune functions in advanced-stage cancer patients . Immunol Invest . 2003 ; 32 ( 3 ): 201-215.
66. Kim KC , Kim IG . Ganoderma lucidum extract protects DNA from strand breakage caused by hydroxyl radical and UV irradiation . Int J Mol Med . 1999 ; 4 ( 3 ): 273-277.
67. Cheuk W , Chan JK , Nuovo G , Chan MK , Fok M . Regression of gastric large B-Cell lymphoma accompanied by a florid lymphoma-like T-cell reaction: immunomodulatory effect of Ganoderma lucidum (Lingzhi)? Int J Surg Pathol . 2007 ; 15 ( 2 ): 180-186.
68. Morigiwa A , Kitabatake K , Fujimoto Y , Ikekawa N . Angiotensin converting enzyme-inhibitory triterpenes from Ganoderma lucidum . Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) . 1986 ; 34 ( 7 ): 3025-3028.
69. Su CY , Shiao MS , Wang CT . Differential effects of ganodermic acid S on the thromboxane A2-signaling pathways in human platelets . Biochem Pharmacol . 1999 ; 58 ( 4 ): 587-595.
70. Wang S , et al. The role of Ganoderma lucidum in immunopotentiation: Effect on cytokine release from human macrophages and T-lymphocytes. In: Program and Abstracts of the 1994 International Symposium on Ganoderm Research . Beijing: Beijing Medical University.
71. Chang H-M, But P, eds. Pharmacology and Applications of Chinese Materia Medica . Vol. 1. Singapore: World Scientific; 1986.
72. Byun S , Rim IH . Studies on the concurrent administration of Ganoderma lucidum extract and glutathione on liver damage induced by carbon tetrachloride in rats . J Pharm . 1987 ; 31 : 133-139.
73. Ho YW , Yeung JS , Chiu PK , et al. Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharide peptide reduced the production of proinflammatory cytokines in activated rheumatoid synovial fibroblast . Mol Cell Biochem . 2007 ; 301 ( 1-2 ): 173-179.
74. Xi Bao Y , Kwok Wong C , Kwok Ming Li E , et al. Immunomodulatory effects of lingzhi and san-miao-san supplementation on patients with rheumatoid arthritis . Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol . 2006 ; 28 ( 2 ): 197-200.
75. Eo SK , Kim YS , Lee CK , Han SS . Antiherpetic activities of various protein bound polysaccharides isolated from Ganoderma lucidum . J Ethnopharmacol . 1999 ; 68 ( 1-3 ): 175-181.
76. Eo SK , Kim YS , Lee CK , Han SS . Antiviral activities of various water and methanol soluble substances isolated from Ganoderma lucidum . J Ethnopharmacol . 1999 ; 68 ( 1-3 ): 129-136.
77. Wicks SM , Tong R , Wang CZ , et al. Safety and tolerability of Ganoderma lucidum in healthy subjects: a double-blind randomized placebo-controlled trial . Am J Chin Med . 2007 ; 35 ( 3 ): 407-414.
78. Kwok Y , Ng KF , Li CC , Lam CC , Man RY . A prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of the platelet and global hemostatic effects of Ganoderma lucidum (Ling-Zhi) in healthy volunteers . Anesth Analg . 2005 ; 101 ( 2 ): 423-426.