Our raw spirulina chips are made from a blue-green algae found in most lakes and ponds in the tropics. It has been consumed for thousands of years by Mexican (Aztecs, Mayans), Africans, and Asians. Raw Spirulina is considered a complete protein because well over half of it consists of amino acids, the building blocks of protein. Spirulina likes to grow in hot and alkaline environments. The purity of the environment is very important as Spirulina will absorb anything from the water and air, storing it in it’s cells.
Spirulina has been used since ancient times as a source of food. With over 100 nutrients and 60% vegetable protein it is the single most perfect food. It contains all the 8 essential amino acids, the essential fatty acids 3-6-9 and GLA, 9 vitamins and 14 minerals, which are all in a highly bio-available form. Nasa has chosen it the ideal food for space stations. Usually not one food can meet all your nutritional needs, yet, spirulina comes very close to being that perfect food. There is documented evidence of people in Japan living on spirulina and water only for 15 to 20 years.
Spirulina algae is unique as it does not have the hard cellulose membranes that are characteristic of plant cells nor does it have a well defined nucleus. These characteristics allows it to be highly digestible in comparison with other algaes such as chlorella.
Raw spirulina is also a natural source of small quantities of iodine / potassium iodide (KI). Iodine is an essential chemical element, used in the production of thyroid hormones that regulate growth and metabolism. Iodine deficiency can lead to an increased risk of pediatric cretinism, mental slowness, lethargy, fatigue, depression, high lipid levels, weight gain and goiter. Natural sources of potassium iodide (KI) / iodine like that found in spirulina, is absorbed by the body more slowly and safely than synthetic iodine.
Our Spirulina chips are from a lake 9000 ft. above sea level near the equator in Ecuador. These are the ideal growing conditions with lots of sunshine, clean air and water which produce a very high quality spirulina. The chips are pure, raw spirulina pressed and dried at low temperature preserving the nutritional value.
Nutritional statistics of Raw Spirulina:
● Holds more nutrition per gram than any other product in the world!
● A 3 gram serving has the same amount of phytonutrients as 5 servings of fruits & vegetables combined
● Contains 300% more calcium than whole milk
● Great for bones, osteoporosis, pediatric development and dietary needs for vegans
● Has 3900% more beta carotene than carrots (a powerful antioxidant that supports a healthy immune system and eyesight)
● Contains 375% more protein than tofu (a necessary building block for muscle tissue and growth)
● Over 200 scientific studies have been done showing the potential health benefits of spirulina
Some possible traditional uses of Raw Spirulina Chips may include:
● Highly digestible & gentle on system
● May support a healthy immune system response
● Rare food source of the essential fatty acid GLA
● May support a healthy inflammatory response
● May support a healthy detoxification response
● High in vitamin B-12 & easy-to-absorb iron
● May support optimal cardiovascular health
● May support healthy brain function
● A natural source for RNA
● May support healthy blood sugar levels
● May stimulate healthy heart function
● Natural source of iodine / potassium iodide (KI)
● May help to maintain normal blood pressure levels
● May support healthy liver function
● A natural source of antioxidants
● May have antiviral and antineoplastic properties
● May support healthy energy level & cellular health
● May support healthy pH levels
Constituents of Spirulina include:
● Minerals: Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium
● Vitamins: Vitamin C, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B-6, Folate, Choline, Vitamin B12, Vitamin A (RAE), Beta carotene, Vitamin A (IU), Vitamin E, Vitamin K
● Amino Acids: Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine,. Lysine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Arginine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, Serine
● Fatty Acids: Palmitic acid, Linoleic acid, Alpha-linolenic acid, stearidonic acid (SDA), Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), oic Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), Arachidonic acid (AA)
● Phytochemicals: Chlorophyll, Phycocyanin, Chlorophyll-a, Xanthophyll, Echinenone, Myxoxanthophyll, Canthaxanthin, Diatoxanthin, 3'-hydroxyechinenone, Beta-cryptoxanthin, Oscillaxanthin, Phycobiliproteins(c-phycocyanin and allophycocyanin).
For additional constituent information, visit:
This product is 100% natural and minimally processed. Taste, smell, texture, and color may vary from batch to batch.
Suggested Use: One small handful (9 grams). Add to juice, yogurt or your favorite smoothie.
Mixing Suggestions: To increase flavor and nutritional profile combine with our organic strawberry powder in a smoothie.
Botanical Name: Arthrospira Platensis.
Common Name: Spirulina, dihe, tecuitlatl, Blue-Green Algae.
Origin: Grown and dried in Ecuador. Packaged with care in Florida, USA.
Z Natural Foods strives to offer the highest quality organically grown, raw, vegan, gluten free, non-GMO products available and exclusively uses low temperature drying techniques to preserve all the vital enzymes and nutrients. Our raw Spirulina Chips and pass our strict quality assurance which includes testing for botanical identity, heavy metals, chemicals, and microbiological contaminants. ZNaturalFoods.com offers raw Spirulina Chips packaged in airtight stand-up, resealable foil pouches for optimum freshness. Once opened, just push the air out of the pouch before resealing it in order to preserve maximum potency. Keep your raw Spirulina Chips in a cool, dark, dry place.