This recipe is an absolutely delicious version of the classic, traditional Italian Easter Ricotta Pie. This is why it's called a pie, even though it looks like a cake. Regardless of what it is called, you and everyone who enjoys a piece will fall in love with this dessert!
There is no flour and no wheat in this recipe because we use coconut flour. Coconut flour is notorious for being ultra dry -- but not in this delicious recipe! This recipe turns coconut flour into a creamy, yummy texture similar to ricotta cheese, which is one of the main ingredients in traditional Italian Easter Ricotta Pie.
What you’ll need
First, you will need a well-greased loaf pan lined with wax paper and greased again. Then heat your oven to 350 degrees. This recipe is so easy to make that you will have it all mixed together in just a few minutes and ready to go in the oven.
This delicious recipe is a bit heavy in lemon and orange zest -- but I assure you the quantity is necessary to develop the same flavors as in the original. We are using coconut palm sugar which has half the glycemic spike as normal sugar but it has a light molasses-like rich flavor, so you need to increase the delicate flavors for them to shine through.
Orange Zest Easter Pie Ingredients:
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 2 cup lucuma
- ½ cup acacia
- 1 cup whey concentrate (there is an extremely small amount of lactose in the whey, making digestion tolerable even for those with severe dairy allergies)
- 1 cup coconut sugar plus ½ cup
forsyrup (see below)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- Zest of 3 Lemons and 2 oranges
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 1 1/2 cup soaked cashew blended into a creamy butter
- 3 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 cups water
- Sift together the first 8 ingredients in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, oil, cashew butter, grapeseed oil, water, lemon zest and orange zest.
- Fold in the dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Grease and line with wax paper a 6x9 loaf pan or a round loaf pan and grease the wax paper.
- Fill the pan three-quarters of the way full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- In the meantime make a simple syrup with the below ingredients which you will pour onto the cake when it comes out of the oven.
Syrup topping ingredients:
- 1 cup orange juice and
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- zest of 1 orange
Syrup Topping Directions:
- Bring to a gentle boil for 5 minutes stirring.
- Remove the zests and reserve for decorating the top of the cake.
- Pour the syrup over the cake and let it cool.
This syrup gives this cake the ultra moist texture of ricotta cheese.
Decorate with the candied orange zest and it is simply creamy, beautiful and delicious.
About Denise Girard, ZNF Master Chef
Denise Girard is a classically trained chef and an award-winning film writer. Certified by the Institute of Integrative Nutrition (IIN) as a Holistic Health Practitioner (CHHP), Denise brings a unique set of training and skills to the food industry.
Being trained worldwide, she has been advised and educated by leading Medical and Naturopathic doctors in North America and Western Europe, including England, Switzerland, Italy
For Bulk inquiries and custom formulations click here: https://www.znaturalfoods.com/pages/bulk