- Bacopa is a perennial herb whose habitat includes wetlands and muddy shores.
- It can grow 10" to 20" high and produces white or bluish flowers.
- Bacopa has the ability to grow either on the ground or under water and is often times used as an aquarium plant.
- Bacopa Monnieri is harvested in the fall and milled into a fine powder that is best known as Brahmi and is widely used in India... More Info
Raw, non-GMO Bacopa Monnieri also has antioxidant properties that may support cardiovascular health as well as respiratory function. It has also traditionally been used to alleviate symptoms associated with anxiety. Bacopa Monnieri has been used in the Ayurvedic system of medicine for centuries and is considered a complete natural remedy for the mind.
Some possible traditional uses of Raw Organic Bacopa Monnieri / Brahmi Leaf Powder may include:
- May possibly support memory
- May nourish the nervous system
- May possibly combat mental fatigue
- May support healthy respiratory function
- May support a healthy cardiovascular system
- May support concentration & learning
Constituents in Bacopa include:
- Phytochemicals: Betulic Acid,
Stigmastarol, Beta-Sitosterol, Bacosides (A & B), Bacopasaponins, Bacosterols, Bacosine, Brahmine, Luteolin, Apigenin, Luteolin
- Saponins: Saponins D-Mannitol and Hersaponin, Acid A and
This product is 100% natural and minimally processed. Taste, smell, texture, and color may vary from batch to batch.
Suggested Use: Mix 1 tablespoon with juice, yogurt or add to your favorite smoothie.
Infusion: Use the ratio of 1 tablespoon of product for every 8 ounces of distilled water. Bring water to a boil and then take off
Tincture: This method can take 15 to 30 days. You will need 3 items (mason jar with cover, the herb/herbs of your choice, liquid for extracting). The extracting liquid can be alcohol, alcohol/ water combo, vinegar or vegetable glycerin. Take the product and fill the jar ¾ full, add the liquid of your choice and close the jar. Then shake the jar so everything is well mixed. Give the jar a good
Mixing suggestion: To increase flavor and nutritional profile combine with our bacopa powder and organic cayenne powder.
Botanical Name: Bacopa Monnieri.
Other Names: Bacopa Monniera, Jalnaveri, Jalanimba, Sambrani chettu, Thyme-leaved Gratiola.
Parts Used: Bacopa Leaf.
Ingredients: Bacopa Monnieri (Brahmi) Leaf.
Origin: Grown and dried in India. Packaged with care in Florida, USA.
Certifications: Certified USDA Organic.
How to Maintain Optimum Freshness:
- This product is packaged in airtight stand-up,resealable foil pouches for optimum freshness.
- Once opened, just push the air out of the pouch before resealing it in order to preserve maximum potency.
- Keep this product in a cool, dark, dry place.
- This product is natural and minimally processed.
- Taste, smell, texture, and color may vary from batch to batch. Go here to learn why our products may naturally vary.
The Important Protections we take to Bring you Safe & Nutritious Superfoods:
Please go here to discover the important steps we take to deliver fresh, quality nutrition.
Need to order a large
Sources & References
1. Singh RH, Narsimhamurthy K, Singh G. Neuronutrient impact of Ayurvedic Rasayana therapy in brain aging. Biogerontology. 2008 Dec;9(6):369-74. doi: 10.1007/s10522-008-9185-z.
2. Rastogi M, Ojha RP, Prabu PC, Devi BP, Agrawal A, Dubey GP. Prevention of age-associated neurodegeneration and promotion of healthy brain ageing in female Wistar rats by long term use of bacosides. Biogerontology. 2012 Apr;13(2):183-95. doi: 10.1007/s10522-011-9367-y.
3. Menon BR, Rathi MA, Thirumoorthi L, Gopalakrishnan VK. Potential Effect of Bacopa monnieri on Nitrobenzene Induced Liver Damage in Rats. Indian J Clin Biochem. 2010 Oct;25(4):401-4. doi: 10.1007/s12291-010-0048-4.
4. Thomas RB, Joy S, Ajayan MS, Paulose CS. Neuroprotective potential of Bacopa monnieri and Bacoside A against dopamine receptor dysfunction in the cerebral cortex of neonatal hypoglycaemic rats. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2013 Nov;33(8):1065-74. doi: 10.1007/s10571-013-9973-0.
5. Rauf K, Subhan F, Sewell RD. A Bacoside containing Bacopa monnieri extract reduces both morphine hyperactivity plus the elevated striatal dopamine and serotonin turnover. Phytother Res. 2012 May;26(5):758-63. doi: 10.1002/ptr.3631. Epub 2011 Nov 22.
6. Rauf K, Subhan F, Abbas M, Badshah A, Ullah I, Ullah S. Effect of Bacopasides on acquisition and expression of morphine tolerance. Phytomedicine. 2011 Jul 15;18(10):836-42. doi: 10.1016/j.phymed.2011.01.023.
7. Rauf K, Subhan F, Al-Othman AM, Khan I, Zarrelli A, Shah MR. Preclinical profile of bacopasides from Bacopa monnieri (BM) as an emerging class of therapeutics for management of chronic pains. Curr Med Chem. 2013;20(8):1028-37.
8. Williams R, MÃ¼nch G, Gyengesi E, Bennett L. Bacopamonnieri (L.) exerts anti-inflammatory effects on cells of the innate immune system in vitro. Food Funct. 2014 Jan 22.
9. Kamkaew N, Scholfield CN, Ingkaninan K, Maneesai P, Parkington HC, Tare M, Chootip K. Bacopa monnieri and its constituents is hypotensive in anaesthetized rats and vasodilator in various artery types. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011 Sep 1;137(1):790-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jep.2011.06.045.
10. Shinomol GK, Muralidhara. Bacopa monnieri modulates endogenous cytoplasmic and mitochondrial oxidative markers in prepubertal mice brain.
11. Phytomedicine. 2011 Feb 15;18(4):317-26. doi: 10.1016/j.phymed.2010.08.005.
12. Kapoor R, Srivastava S, Kakkar P. Bacopa monnieri modulates antioxidant responses in brain and kidney of diabetic rats. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2009 Jan;27(1):62-9. doi: 10.1016/j.etap.2008.08.007.
13. Srikanth Lavu RV, Prasad MN, Pratti VL, MeiÃŸner R, Rinklebe J, Van De Wiele T, Tack F, Du Laing G. Trace metals accumulation in Bacopa monnieri and their bioaccessibility. Planta Med. 2013 Aug;79(12):1081-3. doi: 10.1055/s-0032-1328713.
14. Kulhari A1, Sheorayan A1, Bajar S2, Sarkar S3, Chaudhury A1, Kalia RK1. Investigation of heavy metals in frequently utilized medicinal plants collected from environmentally diverse locations of north western India. Springerplus. 2013 Dec 17;2:676. doi: 10.1186/2193-1801-2-676.
15. Srivastava P, Raut HN, Puntambekar HM, Desai AC. Stability studies of crude plant material of Bacopa monnieri and quantitative determination of bacopaside I and bacoside A by HPLC. Phytochem Anal. 2012 Sep-Oct;23(5):502-7. doi: 10.1002/pca.2347. 16. Chaudhuri PK, Srivastava R, Kumar S, et al. Phytotoxic and antimicrobial constituents of Bacopa monnieri and Holmskioldia sanguinea. Phytother Res 2004;18(2):114-117.
17. Chowdhuri DK, Parmar D, Kakkar P, et al. Antistress effects of bacosides of Bacopa monnieri: modulation of Hsp70 expression, superoxide dismutase and cytochrome P450 activity in rat brain. Phytother Res 2002;16(7):639-645.
18. Kar A, Panda S, Bharti S. Relative efficacy of three medicinal plant extracts in the alteration of thyroid hormone concentrations in male mice. J Ethnopharmacol 2002;81(2):281-285.
19. Pawar R, Gopalakrishnan C, Bhutani KK. Dammarane triterpene saponin from Bacopa monniera as the superoxide inhibitor in polymorphonuclear cells. Planta Med 2001;67(8):752-754.
20. Rao CV, Sairam K, Goel RK. Experimental evaluation of Bocopa monniera on rat gastric ulceration and secretion. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 2000;44(4):435-441.
21. Roodenrys S, Booth D, Bulzomi S, et al. Chronic effects of Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) on human memory. Neuropsychopharmacology 2002;27(2):279-281.
22. Russo A, Borrelli F. Bacopa monniera, a reputed nootropic plant: an overview. Phytomedicine 2005;12(4):305-317.
23. Russo A, Izzo AA, Borrelli F, et al. Free radical scavenging capacity and protective effect of Bacopa monniera L. on DNA damage. Phytother Res 2003;17(8):870-875.
24. Samiulla DS, Prashanth D, Amit A. Mast cell stabilising activity of Bacopa monnieri. Fitoterapia 2001;72(3):284-285.
25. Stough C, Lloyd J, Clarke J, et al. The chronic effects of an extract of Bacopa monniera (Brahmi) on cognitive function in healthy human subjects. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2001;156(4):481-484.
26. Sumathy T, Govindasamy S, Balakrishna K, et al. Protective role of Bacopa monniera on morphine-induced brain mitochondrial enzyme activity in rats. Fitoterapia 2002;73(5):381-385.
27. Sumathy T, Subramanian S, Govindasamy S, et al. Protective role of Bacopa monniera on morphine induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Phytother Res 2001;15(7):643-645.
28. Chaudhuri PK, Srivastava R, Kumar S, et al. Phytotoxic and antimicrobial constituents of Bacopa monnieri and Holmskioldia sanguinea. Phytother Res 2004;18(2):114-117.
29. Goel RK, Sairam K, Babu MD, et al. In vitro evaluation of Bacopa monniera on anti-Helicobacter pylori activity and accumulation of prostaglandins. Phytomedicine 2003;10(6-7):523-527.
30. Kishore K, Singh M. Effect of bacosides, alcoholic extract of Bacopa monniera Linn. (brahmi), on experimental amnesia in mice. Indian J Exp Biol 2005;43(7):640-645.
31. Russo A, Borrelli F. Bacopa monniera, a reputed nootropic plant: an overview. Phytomedicine 2005;12(4):305-317.
32. Russo A, Izzo AA, Borrelli F, et al. Free radical scavenging capacity and protective effect of Bacopa monniera L. on DNA damage. Phytother Res 2003;17(8):870-875.
33. Vohora D, Pal SN, Pillai KK. Protection from phenytoin-induced cognitive deficit by Bacopa monniera, a reputed Indian nootropic plant. J Ethnopharmacol 2000;71(3):383-390. 34. Vohora D, Pal SN, Pillai KK. Protection from phenytoin-induced cognitive deficit by Bacopa monniera, a reputed Indian nootropic plant. J Ethnopharmacol 2000;71(3):383-390.
* Reviews & Success Stories DisclaimerProduct reviews solely reflect the views and opinions expressed by the contributors and not those of Z Natural Foods. Z Natural Foods does not verify or endorse any claims made in these reviews. Statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition.
I’ve added this to a regimen of nootropics that I take regularly. It smells absolutely wonderful, kind of minty. Seems to be a very fresh product. I will definitely buy again.
This is a wonderful product that actually helps your memory. I'll Love this stuff forever!
Bacopa Monnieri (Brahmi) Powder - Organic
But I seem to have diarrhea with a light colored stool could this be cleaning me out which is OK
After taking one teaspoon of Bocopa powder, I feel a very real difference in my mental clarity and focus. Excellent product.