The use of honeybush tea was first documented in 1705. In 1772 the Swedish botanist Thunberg recorded that he found “honigtee” during one of his field trips at the Cape. The earliest record of the early colonists at the Cape using it as a restorative drink (medicinal use) dates back to 1830. The earliest evidence of scientific research – when scientists documented that this herbal drink is caffeine free – comes from 1881.
Since the mid 90s, scientists have been investigating the chemistry and health properties of honeybush. At first they focused on the polyphenols in honeybush, well known antioxidants that are able to protect living cells against mutated cells. The major antioxidant in honeybush is mangiferin, a compound that is also found in mango, but otherwise not common in our diet. Due to the novelty value and relatively high quantities found in honeybush, mangiferin-enriched extracts have huge potential as an ingredient in future designer foods, nutraceuticals and cosmetics.
Honeybush tea is a super fruity delight that is naturally sweet and remarkably ambrosial, yet is completely free of flavoring agents and other ingredients. This magnificent organic tea is imported from the Cape of Good Hope, South Africa. Naturally caffeine free, honeybush is a favorite among children. This is a naturally caffeine free organic loose tea blend. Try it iced!
Some possible traditional uses of Organic Honeybush Tea may include:
- Possibly possesses powerful antioxidant effects
- May support a healthy immune response
- May aid the body during cold and flu season
- May support healthy lipid and blood sugar levels
- May provide support during menopause
- Traditionally used to support milk production for nursing mothers
Constituents of Honeybush Tea include:
- Minerals: Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese
- Vitamins: Vitamin C
- Phenolic compounds: Mangiferin, Isomangiferin, Luteolin 7-rutinoside, Diosmin, Hesperidin, Luteolin, Hesperitin
- Aromatic volatiles: α-Terpineol
- Xanthones: Mangiferin, Isomangiferin
- Flavanones: Hesperidin, Eriocitrin
- Flavone: Scolymoside
Suggested Use Infusion - Use the ratio of 1 teaspoon of product for every 8 ounces of distilled water. Bring water to a boil and then take off stove. Put tea in pot or a mug fill with water and cover for 15 minutes. (This method is specific for whole leaf herbs and teas)
Mixing suggestions: To increase flavor and nutritional profile combine with our organic coconut palm sugar.
Botanical Name: Cyclopia Intermedia.
Ingredients: Organic Honeybush Tea.
Origin: Grown and dried in South Africa. Packaged with care in Florida, USA.
Certifications: USDA Certified Organic.
How to Maintain Optimum Freshness:
- This product is packaged in airtight stand-up, resealable foil pouches for optimum freshness.
- Once opened, just push the air out of the pouch before resealing it in order to preserve maximum potency.
- Keep this product in a cool, dark, dry place.
- This product is natural and minimally processed.
- Taste, smell, texture, and color may vary from batch to batch. Go here to learn why our products may naturally vary.
The Important Protections we take to Bring you Safe & Nutritious Superfoods:
Please go here to discover the important steps we take to deliver fresh, quality nutrition.
Need to order a large quantity of our products? We’d be happy to help! Please contact our Bulk department to discuss the details.