The herbal tea made from rooibos (pronounced Roy-Boss) has been a popular drink in Southern Africa for generations. The plant, Aspalathus linearis, is grown only in a small area in the Western Cape province of South Africa, but during recent years rooibos has become popular in other parts of the world as well.
There are two varieties of rooibos tea. One is referred to as red rooibos and the other is green rooibos. Typically, rooibos leaves are oxidized before they are used to make red rooibos tea. This process, gives them the familiar reddish-brown color and the slightly sweet taste. An alternative treatment of the leaves and twigs does not include the fermentation or oxidation step and produces what is referred to as green rooibos. The tea made from unfermented rooibos has a yellow tan color. The green rooibos tea possesses a milder taste.
Drinking organic red rooibos tea has number of health benefits. Traditional medicinal uses of rooibos in South Africa include supporting a healthy nervous system and digestive system. When applied externally rooibos can be helpful for supporting healthy skin. The alpha hydroxy acid and zinc contained in Red Rooibos Tea may support smooth skin.
Studies suggest rooibos has potent antioxidant, immune-modulating effects. In addition, red rooibos tea has not been found to have any adverse effects. In another study normal healthy rats given rooibos tea instead of water had significantly higher serum superoxide dismutase (SOD) levels than the control rats. They also had less DNA damage and accumulate significantly less aging damage in the brain than rats given water. In fact, the 24-month old rats given rooibos tea for most of their lives had brains similar to young 5-week-old rats. Furthermore, when the rats were given dextran sodium sulfate to induce colitis, the rooibos group had higher SOD levels, and the drop in hemoglobin levels seen in the control group was prevented. Thus, rooibos tea seems to support a healthy inflammation response and have the potential to prevent DNA damage.
Due to the effects of rooibos on vasodilation and vasoconstriction, angiotensin I-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors and nitric oxide (NO) it has been traditionally used to support healthy blood pressure levels . In one study, the effect of green tea, black tea and rooibos tea on ACE and NO was compared in healthy human volunteers. None of the three had a marked effect on NO concentration, but both green tea and rooibos tea inhibited ACE activity, suggesting that they may support a healthy cardiovascular system.
Rooibos tea may support healthy blood sugar levels. In a study on mice, aspalathin suppresses the increase in fasting blood glucose levels. It may also support healthy glucose tolerance, apparently through stimulating glucose uptake in muscle tissues and insulin secretion from the pancreas. So drinking rooibos tea during a meal may not be a bad idea.
Rooibos tea may also support respiratory health. According to a study on rats, in addition to supporting healthy blood pressure levels, rooibos tea may possibly be an antispasmodic. This helps explain why rooibos tea is commonly used to support gastrointestinal and respiratory health. The flavonoid chrysoeriol seems to be mainly responsible for the possible antispasmodic effect. This is a naturally caffeine free organic loose tea.
Some possible traditional uses of Organic Red Rooibos Tea may include:
- May support liver health
- May support a healthy allergy response
- Containing no oxalic acid, making it a great choice for kidney support
- May support healthy lipid levels
- May support healthy lipid levels
- Containing a variety of vitamins and minerals, as well as other phytonutrients
- May act as an antispasmodic agent
- May support a healthy aging process
- Containing polyphenols
- Containing alpha hydroxy acid & zinc content, & may be applied topically to ease to support healthy skin
- Protecting cell proteins, cell fats, & DNA
- Supporting healthy lipid and blood pressure levels
- May support healthy circulation
- May support healthy bones and teeth
- May support a healthy immune response
- Low in tannins which allows easier assimilation of its minerals
- Promoting healthy smooth skin
- Natural levels of antioxidants: Superoxide Dismutase (SOD), aspalathin & nothofagin
- Supporting healthy glucose uptake and insulin secretion after a meals
- Cardiovascular protection through ACE inhibition
- May support healthy brain aging
Constituents of Rooibos include:
- Minerals: Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium
- Vitamins: Vitamin C
- Phenols: polyphenols, flavonoids, non-flavonoids
- Volatile oils: Guaiacol, damascenone, geranylacetone, beta-phenylethyl alcohol, 6-methyl-5-hepten-2-one
- Other Phytochemicals: Aspalathin, Nothofagin, Caffeic acid, Chrysoeriol, Isoquercitrin, Orientin, Isoorientin, Luteolin, Vitexin, Isovitexin, Luteolin, Rutin, Flavonoids, Quercetin
Suggested Use: Infusion- Use the ratio of 1.5 teaspoons of product for every 8 ounces of distilled water. Bring water to a boil and then take off stove. Put tea in pot or a mug fill with water and cover for 15 minutes. (This method is specific for whole leaf herbs and teas).
Mixing Suggestions: To increase flavor and nutritional profile combine with our organic coconut palm sugar.
Botanical Name: Aspalathus Linearis.
Other Names: red bush, red tea, rooibos tea, bush tea, redbush tea, South African red tea, red tea, rooibosch.
Ingredients: Organic Red Rooibos Tea.
Origin: Grown and dried in South Africa. Packaged with care in Florida, USA.
Certifications: USDA Certified Organic.
How to Maintain Optimum Freshness:
- This product is packaged in airtight stand-up, resealable foil pouches for optimum freshness.
- Once opened, just push the air out of the pouch before resealing it in order to preserve maximum potency.
- Keep this product in a cool, dark, dry place.
- This product is natural and minimally processed.
- Taste, smell, texture, and color may vary from batch to batch. Go here to learn why our products may naturally vary.
The Important Protections we take to Bring you Safe & Nutritious Superfoods:
Please go here to discover the important steps we take to deliver fresh, quality nutrition.
Need to order a large quantity of our products? We’d be happy to help! Please contact our Bulk department to discuss the details.