Schizandra, also spelled Schisandra, is revered for its ability to promote energy, vitality, and life. It is one of the primary herbs used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for thousands of years.
The fully ripe, sun-dried fruit is used medicinally, and it has a sour, sweet, salty, hot and bitter taste. This unusual combination of flavors is reflected in Schizandra's Chinese name, wu-wei-zi, meaning "five taste fruit." Perhaps the best adjective to describe the taste is to just call it intense.
This unusual berry holds a top spot in Traditional Chinese Medicine for its superior medicinal benefits, where it is considered one of the 50 fundamental herbs and used as a food source.. They are most often used in dried form, and boiled to make a tea. Medicinally it is used as a tonic and restorative adaptogen with notable clinically documented liver supportive and regenerating effects. For example, liver tissue damaged by harmful influences such as viral issues and alcohol. Schizandra has demonstrated a 76% success rate without harmful side effects. The primary hepatoprotective and immuno-modulating constituents may be the lignans schizandrin, deoxyschizandrin, gomisin, and pregomisin, which are found in the seeds of the fruit.
Laboratory work suggests that Schizandra may support work performance, build strength and help to reduce fatigue. Using the berries internally is thought to support the body’s ability to better utilize oxygen, thereby improving human endurance. In China, a few berries are chewed daily for one hundred days in a row as a tonic to improve coordination and concentration. As documented by the Health Sciences Institute, schizandra raises your body's amounts of the enzyme glutathione, which supports a healthy detoxification response. Yance describes schizandra berry as an herb that may support mental and physical health and can potentially support the body's ability to adapt to varied stimuli.
Russian scientists in the Far East regions where the berries and seeds were used by hunters to improve night vision, as a tonic and to reduce hunger, thirst and exhaustion since "it gives forces to follow a sable all the day without food." Pharmacological studies on animals have shown that Schizandra may support physical working capacity and may support a healthy stress response towards a broad spectrum of harmful factors.
Some possible traditional uses of Raw Organic Schizandra Berry Powder may include:
- Adaptogenic actions
- May support healthy energy without the jittery side effect of caffeine
- May support a healthy detoxification response
- May Improve coordination
- Nourishing the nervous system
- May support night vision
- May support healthy concentration & mental focus
- Restoring energy balance to the body
- Beautifies the skin
- May supports the the body’s ability to better utilize oxygen
- May support healthy liver function
- Raising your body's glutathione enzyme levels
- Helping the body adapt to mental & physical stresses
- May support kidney health
- May support healthy sleep patterns
- Increasing energy supply to vital organs
- May support work performance, building strength & helping to reduce fatigue
Constituents of Schizandra Berries include:
- Minerals: Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Chromium, Manganese, Selenium
- Vitamins: Vitamin C, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Tocopherols
- Polyphenolic substances: Schisandrins, Schisandrols, Schisandrers, Schisantherins, Wuweizisus, Deoxyschisandrin,Gomisins, Pregomisin, Acids, volatile oils
- Lignans: Deoxyschizandrin, Gomisins, Pregomisin, Schizandrin
- Phytosterols: Beta-sitosterol, Stigmasterol
- Other active constituents: Flavonoids, Citric acid, Triterpenic acid, Triterpenoids, Phenolic glycosides, Gomisin A-O
This product is 100% natural and minimally processed. Taste, smell, texture, and color may vary from batch to batch.
Suggested Use: Mix 1 tablespoon with juice, yogurt or add to your favorite smoothie.
Tincture: This method can take 15 to 30 days. You will need 3 items (mason jar with cover, the herb/herbs of your choice, liquid for extracting). The extracting liquid can be alcohol, alcohol/ water combo, vinegar or vegetable glycerin. Take the product and fill the jar ¾ full, add the liquid of your choice and close the jar. Then shake the jar so everything is well mixed. Give the jar a good 5 minute shake, several times a day. After 15 to 30 days strain and bottle in glass tincture jars.
Mixing Suggestions: To increase flavor and nutritional profile combine with our fo-ti root and lucuma powders in a smoothie.
Botanical Name: Schisandra chinensis.
Other Names: Five flavor berry, Schisandra berry, Magnola vine, Wu-wei-zi, Gomishi, Schisandra Fruit, Fruit of Five Flavors, Sandra Berry Vine, Omicha.
Parts Used: Whole, Schisandra Berries.
Ingredients: Organic Schizandra Berries.
Origin: Grown and dried in China. Packaged with care in Florida, USA.
Certifications: USDA Certified Organic.
Z Natural Foods strives to offer the highest quality organically grown, raw, vegan, gluten free, non-GMO products available and exclusively uses low temperature drying techniques to preserve all the vital enzymes and nutrients. Our Raw Schizandra Berry Powder is certified organic and pass our strict quality assurance which typically includes testing for botanical identity, heavy metals, chemicals and microbiological contaminants. ZNaturalFoods.com offers Raw Organic Schizandra Berry Powder packaged in airtight stand-up, resealable foil pouches for optimum freshness. Once opened, just push the air out of the pouch before resealing it in order to preserve maximum potency. Keep your Raw Organic Schizandra Berry Powder in a cool, dark, dry place.