White tea became revered during China's Song Dynasty (960-1279). It was the choice of the royal court and was given as a tribute to the emperor. White tea leaves and buds were ground into a silvery powder, then whisked in bowls during the Song Tea Ceremony. This was the inspiration for the famous Japanese Tea Ceremony.
Our White Tea Bags (Non-GMO) is an uncured and unfermented tea leaf. A specialty of the Chinese province Fujian. Like green, oolong and black tea, white tea comes from the Camellia Sinensis plant. White tea is fast-dried, while green tea is lightly roasted in an oven or pan. Oolong and black teas are fermented before curing. White tea contains buds and young tea leaves, which have been found to contain lower levels of caffeine than older leaves. This means that the caffeine content of white tea is generally lower than that of green teas.
White tea is mainly produced in the Jianyang, Fuding and Songxi counties in Fujian Province. These hilly territories with their red and yellow mountain soils, year round mild climate and abundant rainfall (in Fuding for example, the average annual temperature is 18.5°C / 65.3°F and annual precipitation is about 1660 mm/65 inches), contribute to White Tea's unique character. Taiwan also produces a small amount of White Tea.
The 3 step production process involves the following:
Withering - Picked leaves are spread out (inside and/or outside in the sun) to soften the cell walls of leaves. This step draws the moisture to the surface for evaporation, softening the leaves, begins fermentation which sets it up for the next stage. This is the most important step in making great white tea. The stems are then removed from the leaves, the natural waxy film coating is removed and slow-fire baked until dry. When the moisture content is reduced to about 4% to 5% , the leaves are then packaged.
"Kill-Green" (also known as "Fixing") - Stops the natural fermentation and growing processes within the leaves without damaging them. Steaming the leaves, hand pressing in a hot pan and baking techniques are used.
Rolling/Forming - Leaves are passed through hot and/or cold rollers to slightly break down the leaves, which establishes the shape of the leaves and intensifies the tea flavour.
Drying - Establishes the final moisture content of the leaves, stops fermentation, prevents mold growth, removes any grassy leaf taste and develops the tea's aroma. Sun drying, pan heating and hot air methods are used.
Some possible traditional uses of Organic White Tea may include:
- Chuck full of powerful antioxidants like polyphenols
- May support healthy blood pressure
- May support healthy blood sugar
- May support skin health
- May prevent cellular mutations
- May support healthy lipid levels
- May have antibacterial and antiviral properties
Constituents of White Tea include:
- Minerals: Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Zinc, Copper
- Vitamins: Vitamin C, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B-6, Folate, Choline, Betaine, Vitamin A (RAE), Beta carotene, Vitamin A (IU), Lutein & Zeaxanthin, Vitamin E, Beta Tocopherol, Gamma Tocopherol, Delta Tocopherol, Vitamin K
- Amino Acids: Cystine, Arginine, Cystine, Glycine, Glutamine, Leucine
- Catechins: epicatechin (EC), Epicatechin-3-gallate (ECG), Epigallocatechin (EGC), Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG)
- Theaflavins: Theaflavin 3-gallate, Theaflavin 3.3-digallate
- Flavonols: Kaempferol, Quercetin, Myricetin
- Polyphenols, Caffeine
Our white tea is made from the finest organic young tea leaves available. There are approximately 190 naturally caffeinated organic tea bags per pound.
Suggested Use: Steep 1 tea bag in 6 oz of water for 7-10 minutes at 180 F.
Botanical Name: Camellia sinensis.
Origin: Grown and dried in China. Packaged with care in Florida, USA.
Certifications: USDA Certified Organic.
How to Maintain Optimum Freshness:
- This product is packaged in airtight stand-up, resealable foil pouches for optimum freshness.
- Once opened, just push the air out of the pouch before resealing it in order to preserve maximum potency.
- Keep this product in a cool, dark, dry place.
- This product is natural and minimally processed.
- Taste, smell, texture, and color may vary from batch to batch. Go here to learn why our products may naturally vary.
The Important Protections we take to Bring you Safe & Nutritious Superfoods:
Please go here to discover the important steps we take to deliver fresh, quality nutrition.
Need to order a large quantity of our products? We’d be happy to help! Please contact our Bulk department to discuss the details.