It became a popular ingredient in natural products, somewhat erroneously, due to poorly interpreted science. This irresponsible use of Wild Yam is disheartening because this plant is rare or endangered in much of its natural range in eastern North America. In the 1700’s and 1800’s wild yam was used by herbalists for menstrual complaints, assisting with the pain of child labor, and for digestive disturbances in children and coughs. Since the plant is rich in soapy-tasting compounds called saponins, it has a fairly bitter taste; and therefore it has not been consumed as a food source, but rather, used for supplemental purposes.
The plant does contain a chemical called Diosgenin, which can be converted to Progesterone in the laboratory, but not in the human digestive system. Fenugreek seeds also contain a fair amount of Diosgenin. It would be better to follow the lead of the wise herbalists, midwives, and physicians of earlier centuries and reserve the use of this plant for its intended uses.
Wild yam (non-GMO) is known to be supportive to overall liver health, it is believed that wild yam root's ability to support healthy cholesterol and blood pressure levels indirectly helps the liver by increasing its efficiency and reducing stress.
Its steroidal saponins are also known for when supporting a healthy inflammation response. Its diuretic effect, combined with the antispasmodic action may, soothe painful conditions of the urinary tract.
Traditional Chinese Medicine has used wild yam for at least 2,000 years. Our raw wild yam is wild harvested in China.
Some possible traditional uses of Raw Wildcrafted Yam Root Powder may include:
- May support women's health
- May support healthy circulation
- May help reduce abdominal & intestinal cramping
- May support the central nervous system
- May support a healthy inflammation response
- Possible diuretic effects
- May support a healthy menstrual cycle
This product is 100% natural and minimally processed. Taste, smell, texture, and color may vary from batch to batch.
Suggested Use: Mix 1 teaspoon with juice, yogurt or add to your favorite smoothie.
Mixing Suggestions: To increase flavor and nutritional profile combine with our organic gelatinized maca root powder.
Botanical Name: Dioscorea Villosa.
Other Names: Colic root, China root, Devil's bones, Rheumatism root, Yuma, Huang Yao Tzu, Shu Yu.
Parts Used: Yam Root.
Ingredients: Raw Wild Yam Root.
Origin: Wildcrafted and dried in China. Packaged with care in Florida, USA.
How to Maintain Optimum Freshness:
- This product is packaged in airtight stand-up, resealable foil pouches for optimum freshness.
- Once opened, just push the air out of the pouch before resealing it in order to preserve maximum potency.
- Keep this product in a cool, dark, dry place.
- This product is natural and minimally processed.
- Taste, smell, texture, and color may vary from batch to batch. Go here to learn why our products may naturally vary.
The Important Protections we take to Bring you Safe & Nutritious Superfoods:
Please go here to discover the important steps we take to deliver fresh, quality nutrition.
Need to order a large quantity of our products? We’d be happy to help! Please contact our Bulk department to discuss the details.