1. Archana R, Namasivayam A. Antistressor effect of Withania somnifera. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 1999;64:91-93.
2. Agarwal R, Diwanay S, Patki P, Patwardhan B. Studies on immunomodulatory activity of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) extracts in experimental immune inflammation. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 1999;67:27-35.
3. Bhargava HN. Opioid peptides, receptors and immune functions. Drugs Abuse Res. (monograph), USA. 1990;86:220-3.
4. Bhattacharya SK, Goel RK, Kaur R, Ghosal S. Anti-stress activity of Sitoindosides VII and VIII, new Acylsterylglucosides from Withania Somnifera. Phytotherapy Research. 1987;1(1):32-7.
5. Bhattacharya S, Kumar A. Effects of glycowithanolides from Withania somnifera on an animal model of Alzheimer's disease and perturbed central cholinergic markers of cognition in rats. Phytotherapy Research. 1995;9:110-113.
6. Bhattacharya A, Ramanathan M, Ghosal S, Bhattacharya SK. Effect of Withania somnifera glycowithanolides on iron-induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Phytotherapy Research. 2000;14:568-570.
7. Bhattacharya SK, Satyan KS, Ghosal S. Antioxidant activity of glycowithanolides from Withania somnifera. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 1997;35:236-239.
8. Chauhan RS. Effect of immuplus on humoral and cell mediated immunity in dogs. J. Immunol. Immunopathol. 1999;1:54-57.
9. Chattopadhyay S, Chaudhury S, Ghosal S. Activation of peritoneal macrophages by sitoindosides. Planta Med. 1987;54:16-9.
10. Dallman M, la Fleur S, Pecoraro N, Gomex F, Houshyar H, Akana S. Minireview: Glucocorticoids-Food Intake, Abdominal Obesity, and Wealthy Nations in 2004. Endocrinology Vol. 145, No.6 2633-2638.
11. Davis L, Kuttan G. Immunomodulatory activity of Withania somnifera. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2000;71:193-200.
12. Ehrke N, Mihich E. Effects of anticancer agents on immune responses. TIPS. 1985:412-417.
Dhuley JN. Effect of Ashwagandha on lipid peroxidation in stress-induced animals. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 1998;60:173-8.
13. Ghosal S. Natural products with immunological effects. Indian J Indg Med. 1991;12:1-7.
Ghosal S, Lal J, Srivastava R et al. Immunomodulatory and CNS effects of Sitoindosides IX and X, two new glycowithanolides from Withania somnifera. Phytotherapy Research. 1989;3(5):201-6.
14. Grandhi A, Mujumdar AM, Patwardhan B. A comparative pharmacological investigation of Ashwagandha and Ginseng. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 1994;44:131-5.
15. Hjemdahl P. Editorial: Stress and the Metabolic Syndrome An Interesting but Enigmatic Association Circulation 2002;106:2634.
16. Jankovic BD. Neural tissue hypersensitivity in psychiatric disorders with immunological features. J Immunol. 1985;135:853S-857S.
17. Karnick C.R., A double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical studies on the effects of Withania somnifera and Panax Ginseng Extracts on psychomotor performance in healthy Indian volunteers. Indian Medicine Vol. 3 No. 2,3, April-July 1991.
18. Kulkarni SK, Sharma A, Verma A, Ticku MK. Gaba receptor mediated anticonvulsant action of Withania somnifera Root extract. Indian Drugs. 1993;7(30):305-312.
19. Kuppurajan K, Rajogopalan SS, Sitaraman R, et al. Effect of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) on the process of ageing in human volunteers. Journal of Research in Ayurveda and Siddha. 1980;1(2):247-58.
20. LaValle J. Stress: The Hidden Factor for Weight Gain Nutrition Science News April 2001.
21. Mishra LC, Singh B, Dagenais S. Scientific basis for the therapeutic use of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha): a review. Alternative Medicine Review. 2000;5(4):334-346.
22. Mukhopadhaya B, Chokrabarti A, Ghosal S, Bhattacharya SK. Immunomodulatory properties of some Indian medicinal plants. In Emerging Drugs Volume 1, Molecular Aspects of Asian Medicines, Eds.
23. Akitane Mori, M.D., Ph.D., Tetsuo Satoh, Ph.D., PJD Publications Ltd. (Westbury, NY) 2001.
24. Naidu P, Singh A, Kulkarni S. Effect of Withania somnifera root extract on haloperidol-induced orofacial dyskinesia: possible mechanisms of action. Journal of Medicinal Food. 2003;6(2):107-114.
25. Pallabi DE, Dasgupta SC, Gomes A. Immunopotentiating and immunoprophylactic activities of Immune 21, a polyherbal product. Indian Journal of Pharmacology. 1998;30:163-8.
26. Prabhu M., Rao A., Karanth K.S. Neuropharmacological Activity of Withania somnifera Fitoterapia Volume LXL, No. 3, 1990.
27. Ramarao P, Rao KT, Srivastava RS, Ghosal S. Effects of glycowithanolides from Withania somnifera on morphine-induced inhibition of intestinal motility and tolerance to analgesia in mice. Phytotherapy Research. 1995;9:66-68.
28. Rosmond R. Stress induced disturbances of the HPA axis: a pathway to Type 2 diabetes? Med Sci Monit, 2003;9(2):RA35-39.
29. Rosmond R, Dallman M, Bjorntorp P. Stress-Related Cortisol Secretion in Men:Relationship with Abdominal Obesity and Endocrine, Metabolic and Hemodynamic Abnormalities The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism Vol. 83, No.6 1853-1859.
30. Fruehwald-Schultes B, Kern W, Bong W, Wellhoener P, Kerner W, Born J, Fehm H, Peters A. Supraphysiological Hyperinsulinemia Acutely Increases Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Secretory Activity in Humans. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism Vol. 84, No. 9 3041-3046.
31. Selye H. The evolution of stress concept. Am Scientist. 1973;61:692-698.
32. Shah LP, Patil SP, Patil J. Observations on clinical evaluation of indigenous herbal drugs in the treatment of mental illnesses. Indian Journal of Pharmacology. 1997;29:S347-S349.
33. Shukla SD, Jain S, Sharma K, Bhatnagar M. Stress induced neuron degeneration and protective effects of Semecarpus anacardium Linn. and Withania somnifera Dunn. in hippocampus of albino rats: an ultrastructural study. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 2000;38:1007-1013.
34. Singh A, Saxena E, Bhutani KK. Adrenocorticosterone alterations in male, albino mice treated with Trichopus zeylanicus, Withania somnifera and Panax ginseng preparations. Phytotherapy Research. 2000;14:122-125.
35. Tongia SK, Bose S, Jain HL. Cytoprotective and efficiency optimizing effect of Eumil against routine mental & physical stress in bank clerks and gymnast-body builders. Indian J Indg Med. 1995-96;17(2):13-24.
36. Vaidya ADB. The status and scope of Indian medicinal plants acting on central nervous system. Indian Journal of Pharmacology. 1997;29:S340-S343.
37. Vicennati V, Pasquali R Abnormalities of the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis in Nondepressed Women with Abdominal Obesity and Relations with Insulin Resistance: Evidence for a Central and a Peripheral Alteration. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism Vol. 85, No. 11 4093-4098.
39. Andallu B, Radhika B. Hypoglycemic, diuretic and hypocholesterolemic effect of winter cherry (Withania somnifera, Dunal) root. Indian J Exp Biol 2000;38(6):607-609.
40. Kulkarni RR, Patki PS, Jog VP, et al. Treatment of osteoarthritis with a herbomineral formulation: a double- blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over study. J Ethnopharmacol 1991;33(1-2):91-95.
41. Kuppurajan K, Rajagopalan SS, Sitoraman R, et al. Effect of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera Dunal) on the process of ageing on human volunteers. Journal of Research in Ayurveda and Siddha 1980;1(2):247-258.
42. Nagashayana N, Sankarankutty P, Nampoothiri MR, et al. Association of L-DOPA with recovery following Ayurveda medication in Parkinson's disease. J Neurol Sci 2000;176(2):124-127.
43. Spelman K, Burns J, Nichols D, et al. Modulation of cytokine expression by traditional medicines: a review of herbal immunomodulators. Altern Med Rev. 2006 Jun;11(2):128-50.
44. Upadhaya L, et al. Role of an indigenous drug Geriforte on blood levels of biogenic amines and its significance in the treatment of anxiety neurosis. Acta Nerv Super 1990;32(1):1-5.
45. Venkataraghavan S, Seshadri C, Sundaresan TP, et al. The comparative effect of milk fortified with Aswagandha, Aswagandha and Punarnava in children - a double-blind study. J Res Ayur Sid 1980;1:370-385.
46. Bucci LR. Selected herbals and human exercise performance. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;72(2 Suppl):624S-636S.
47. Ziauddin M, Phansalkar N, et al. Studies on the immunomodulatory effects of Ashwagandha. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 1996;50:69-76.