- Well known in both indian and asian cuisine, curry leaf or otherwise known by either its botanical name Murraya Koenigii or indian name curry patta is a small tropical or sub-tropical shrub that grows on average 8-10 feet tall.
- Its thin, shiny, dark green leaflets are well known for their very pungent, aromatic taste and smell.
- The dried leaves look a lot like bay leaves but all you need to do is rub or bruise it and you will know instantly from its aroma that you have curry leaves... More Info
Typically used to enhance the flavor of vegetable dishes, organic curry leaves when fried in butter or oil will bring that flavor of that substance up a few notches.
When added to meat and chutney dishes is it will add a pleasant yet subtle flavor. The curry leaf grows in great abundance across the entire subcontinent of India and is also native to India, SriLanka, Bangladesh and the Andaman islands.
A typical curry spice blend would contain other spices like cumin, black pepper, fenugreek, cinnamon, cloves and chillies.
Curry is so much more than just a tasty spice. Traditionally it is a staple in ayurvedic medicine for many common imbalances from supporting a healthy liver and skin to supporting healthy blood sugar and lipid levels. One study done on mice study where they were given 80 mgs/kg of curry leaf extract over a ten day period reported a decrease in both blood glucose (387 to 214) and lipid levels from (277 to 182).
Another study done on rats using both water and alcohol based extracts of curry leaf reported a significant decrease in blood sugar levels as compared to the diabetic control groups.
Finally, a study investigating the possible neuroprotective effect of a compound found in curry leaf stated “Cell viability and apoptosis assay demonstrated that MC13 was not toxic to neurons and significantly protected neurons from microglia-mediated inflammatory injury upon lipopolysaccharide (LPS) stimulation. Results showed that MC13 markedly inhibited LPS-induced production of various inflammatory mediators, including nitrite oxide (Griess method), TNF-α and IL-6 (ELISA assay) in a concentration-dependent manner. Mechanism study showed that MC13 could suppress the activation of NF-κB, which was the central regulator for inflammatory response, and also decreased the interaction of TGF-β-activated kinase 1 (TAK1)-binding protein (TAB2) with TAK1 and TNF receptor associated factor (TRAF6), leading to the decreased phosphorylation levels of NF-κB upstream regulators such as IκB and IκB kinase (IKK). MC13 also significantly down-regulated the phosphorylation levels of ERK and p38 MAPKs, which played key roles in microglia-mediated inflammatory response”. This study concluded that this novel compound may support health neuroinflammation levels.
Some possible traditional uses of our Organic Raw Curry Leaf Powder may include:
- May support a healthy inflammation response
- May support healthy lipid levels
- May support healthy blood sugar levels
- May support a healthy nervous system
- May support skin health
- A staple spice in ayurvedic medicine
Constituents of Curry Leaf include:
- Mahanimbine, girinimbine, koenimbine, isomahanine, mahanine, Undecalactone, 2-methoxy-3-methyl-carbazole, Linalool (32.83%), Elemol (7.44%), Geranyl acetate (6.18%), Myrcene (6.12%), Allo-Ocimene (5.02), α-Terpinene (4.9%), and (E)-β-Ocimene (3.68%) and Neryl acetate (3.45%). From the identified compounds, they were classified into four groups that are oxygenated monoterpenes (72.15%), monoterpene hydrocarbons (11.81%), oxygenated sesquiterpenes (10.48%) and sesquiterpenes hydrocarbons (03.12%)
Suggested Use: Use ¼ to ½ teaspoon to season meats and vegetables.
Mixing Suggestions: Combine with out turmeric, black pepper, cinnamon and clove powders to make a tasty seasoning blend for meat or vegetables.
Botanical Name: Murraya koenigii.
Other Names: Bergera koenigii, curry plant, curry tree.
Parts Used: Raw Leaves.
Ingredients: Organic Curry Leaf.
Certifications: Certified USDA Organic.
Origin: Grown and harvested in India. Packaged with care in Florida, USA.
How to Maintain Optimum Freshness:
- This product is packaged in airtight stand-up,resealable foil pouches for optimum freshness.
- Once opened, just push the air out of the pouch before resealing it in order to preserve maximum potency.
- Keep this product in a cool, dark, dry place.
- This product is natural and minimally processed.
- Taste, smell, texture, and color may vary from batch to batch. Go here to learn why our products may naturally vary.
The Important Protections we take to Bring you Safe & Nutritious Superfoods:
Please go here to discover the important steps we take to deliver fresh, quality nutrition.
Need to order a large quantity of our products? We’d be happy to help! Please contact our Bulk department to discuss the details.
Sources & References
* Reviews & Success Stories DisclaimerProduct reviews solely reflect the views and opinions expressed by the contributors and not those of Z Natural Foods. Z Natural Foods does not verify or endorse any claims made in these reviews. Statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition.
Earn a Discount!
Here at Z Natural Foods, we firmly believe that sharing is caring. Invite your friends to our store and be rewarded with $10 dollars as soon as they make their first order.* And if they love our products just as much as you do, you will continue to be rewarded again and again!
( Minimum amount : 10 $ )