- This sacred herb is more than just a wonderfully spicy and aromatic staple for stir-fry and soups.
- It also packs a powerful nutritional punch as an Ayurvedic medicine superstar used to combat life's stresses.
- Traditionally used to support the immune system, Holy Basil is well-known for its longevity benefits and is often referred to as “the incomparable one."
If you thought Holy Basil (Tulsi) was just for stir fry or sipping tea, think again.
Sacred in the Hindu religion, tulsi literally means “the incomparable one.” In fact, holy basil is so useful it is even believed to be an earthly manifestation of the goddess Tulsi.
Native to India, this delightfully aromatic plant dates back over 2,000 years. That’s because this incredible herb has so many culinary, medicinal, and even industrial uses.
As a traditional superstar in Southeast Asia, this Ayurvedic herb has been thoroughly explored for its chemical and pharmacological properties.
With more than 60 chemical compounds, including phenolics, flavonoids, phenylpropanoids, terpenoids, fatty acid derivatives, essential oil, fixed oil, and steroids, scientists have found that the compounds in Holy Basil may have important medicinal value.
Because of the wide array of benefits and the impressive properties this herb possesses, Holy Basil is classified as a powerful adaptogen herb.
Traditional Uses Of Holy Basil
Many homes and temples in India have a tulsi plant which is believed to support a feeling of well-being. In Ayurvedic medicine, tulsi is a Rasayana, literally meaning “the path to essence” and thereby promoting long life.
Ayurvedic times used holy basil for a wide variety of uses.
In fact, dozens of holy basil’s traditionally known therapeutic uses have been confirmed, including its incredible adaptogenic and antistress properties.
A large body of scientific research supports the uses of this valuable plant.
Studies show that holy basil has antimicrobial, adaptogenic, antidiabetic, anti-inflammatory, neuroprotective, and cardioprotective actions, among many other benefits.
- One medicinal purpose was that the holy basil herb was used to strengthen the respiratory system. It was used as a remedy for coughs and colds and asthma and bronchitis. 7
- Holy basil also may have the ability to bring down fevers. One study in Northern India in 1978 compared holy basil against standard conventional treatments. More than half of the group that took holy basil realized substantial success versus the conventional medicine group.7
- Additionally, holy basil also has been a traditional remedy to support the digestive system, often taken as a tea with ginger. 7
Similar to ashwagandha and eleuthero, holy basil is an adaptogen herb. And what makes holy basil part of this exclusive family of plants and different from other plant foods, and even from most superfoods, is that holy basil contains a wide range of multifaceted compounds that are nutritionally superior to the typical vitamins, minerals, and other substances found in most herbs.
Some possible traditional uses of our Organic Holy Basil (Tulsi) Powder may include:
- A staple spice in ayurvedic medicine
- May support a healthy stress response
- May enhance endocrine function
- May reduces oxidative stress
- May promotes eye health
- May support a healthy blood pressure
- May nourishes the cardiovascular system
- May support a healthy blood sugar and insulin metabolism
- Elevates mood and spirit:
- May relieve mild forms of depression, especially when induced by stress
Constituents of Holy Basil (Tulsi) include:
- Oleanolic acid,
- Ursolic acid,
- Rosmarinic acid,
- Linalool, and
- vitamin C,
- zinc, and
Suggested Use: Add 1 teaspoon of Holy Basil powder in your favorite tea or use as a flavorful spice in recipes, particularly popular in Asian dishes..
Mixing Suggestions: Combine with our turmeric, black pepper, cinnamon, and clove powders to make a tasty seasoning blend for meat or vegetables.
Botanical Name: Ocimum tenuiflorum.
Other Names: Ajaka, Albahaca Santa, Bai Gkaprow, Baranda, Basilic Indien, Basilic Sacré, Basilic Sacré Pourpre, Basilic Saint, Brinda, Green Holy Basil, Hot Basil, Indian Basil, Kala Tulsi, Kemangen, Krishna Tulasi, Krishna Tulsi, Manjari, Ocimum sanctum, Ocimum tenuiflorum, Parnasa, Patrapuspha, Rama Tulsi, Red Holy Basil, Sacred Basil, Sacred Purple Basil, Shyama Tulsi, Sri Tulasi, Suvasa Tulasi, Tulasi, Tulsi, Tulsi Patra.
Parts Used: Raw Leaves.
Ingredients: Organic Holy Basil (Tulsi).
Origin: Grown and harvested in India. Packaged with care in Florida, USA.
How to Maintain Optimum Freshness
- Our Organic Holy Basil (Tulsi) Powder is packaged in airtight stand-up, resealable foil pouches for optimum freshness.
- Once opened, just push the air out of the pouch before resealing it in order to preserve maximum potency.
- Keep your Organic Holy Basil (Tulsi) Powder in a cool, dark refrigerator.
This product is 100% natural and minimally processed:
Taste, smell, texture, and color may vary from batch to batch. Go here to learn why our products may naturally vary.
The Important Protections we take to Bring you Safe & Nutritious Superfoods:
Please go here to discover the important steps we take to deliver fresh, quality nutrition.
Need to order a large quantity of our products? We’d be happy to help! Please contact our Bulk department to discuss the details.
- Holy Basil: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1101/holy-basil
- Tulsi - Ocimum sanctum: A herb for all reasons: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4296439/
- The Clinical Efficacy and Safety of Tulsi in Humans: A Systematic Review of the Literature: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5376420/
- Ocimum tenuiflorum: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocimum_tenuiflorum
- A review on phytochemical and pharmacological properties of Holy basil (Ocimum sanctum L.): https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0926669018302711
- Phytochemical analysis of medicinal herb (ocimum sanctum): https://www.peertechzpublications.com/articles/IJNNN-5-129.php
- Holy Basil: An Herb With Incomparable Benefits: https://medericenter.org/the-mederi-blog/holy-basil-an-herb-with-incomparable-benefits.html
* Reviews & Success Stories DisclaimerProduct reviews solely reflect the views and opinions expressed by the contributors and not those of Z Natural Foods. Z Natural Foods does not verify or endorse any claims made in these reviews. Statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition.
Earn a Discount!
Here at Z Natural Foods, we firmly believe that sharing is caring. Invite your friends to our store and be rewarded with $10 dollars as soon as they make their first order.* And if they love our products just as much as you do, you will continue to be rewarded again and again!
( Minimum amount : 10 $ )