- Our Maca Root Powder is a blend of primarily yellow, red and black maca roots
- This combination provides the benefits of all three varieties
- Just like a regular spice, Maca can be used in regular cooking
- Maca is a relative of the turnip and grows at very high altitudes and has been a dietary staple of the indigenous Andeans for centuries...
What is the difference between all the
|Read our blog article here|
This powerhouse root naturally contains calcium, fatty acids, and vitamins B1, B2, B12, and phosphorus. It also contains a variety of minerals and alkaloids. All these put together
Athletes have traditionally found Maca to possibly be a natural endurance builder, due to its sterol and saponin content. Recent studies have identified four alkaloids present in Maca known to possibly nourish the endocrine system, benefiting both women and men.
Peruvian folklore suggests that maca, also traditionally known as 'Peruvian ginseng' is helpful for supporting men’s health; and clinical animal studies have supported this. The evidence suggests that maca's contribution to performance comes about by gently and gradually supporting circulation. Studies show that oral supplementation with maca may repair the biochemical cascade of events that causes decreased blood flow, especially in the male reproductive system. The result is a measurable improvement over time, without the health risks associated with prescription drugs.
Maca root is a great way of supporting women's health. Maca may provide some relief from the common symptoms of a woman's monthly cycle. A recent study using human cartilage found that maca may possibly almost triples cartilage's anabolic activity. When combined with the action of another Peruvian herb, cat's claw, the anabolic stimulation in the cartilage almost quadruples.
Approximate Naturally Occurring Maca Color Diversification:
- 60% - White & Yellow
- 20% - Red
- 15% - Black
- 5% - In between or multiple colors
Some possible traditional uses and possible health benefits of Raw Organic Maca Root Powder Blend may include:
- A combination of benefits from yellow, black & red maca
- May support good mental health and mental focus
- May possibly increases physical stamina, energy & strength
- May support healthy blood sugar levels
- May aid adrenal health
- Supports men's overall health
- May help balance healthy hormone levels & well being
- May help feed & nourish the endocrine system
- May support a healthy liver
- May help support stamina levels in men and women
- Possibly possesses adaptogenic actions
- May support
- Contains nourishing levels of alkaloids, steroids, saponins, glucosinolates, cardiotonic glycosides and tannins
Constituents of Maca include:
- Minerals: Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium, Boron
- Vitamins: Vitamin C, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B-6, Beta-carotene, Vitamin D3
- Amino Acids: Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Arginine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Proline, Serine
- Sterols: Brassicasterol, Ergosterol, Campesterol, Ergostadienol, Sitosterol
- Fatty Acids: Unsaturated, C12-0- Dodecanoic (lauric), C13-1-7- Tridecanoic
- Secondary Metabolites: Macaridine,
- Benzylated Alkamides: Phenyl Acetonitrile and Macamides
- Essential oils: Phenyl acetonitrile, Benzaldehyde, Methoxyphenylacetonitrile
- Other Phytochemicals: Glucosinates, Saponins, and tannins
How to use your Maca Root powder
Suggested Use: Mix 1 tablespoon with juice, yogurt or in your favorite smoothie.
Miscellaneous Facts about our raw Organic Maca Root Powder
Certifications: Certified USDA Organic.
Ingredients: Organic Maca Root.
Parts Used: Whole Raw Maca Root (multiple colors mixed in natural proportions).
Botanical Name: Lepidium meyenii (Walp.).
Other Names: Peruvian Ginseng, Maca-maca,
Origin: Grown and dried in Peru. Packaged with care in Florida, USA.
How to Maintain Optimum Freshness
• Our Organic Raw Maca Root Powder is packaged in airtight stand-up, resealable foil pouches for optimum freshness.
• Once opened, just push the air out of the pouch before resealing it in order to preserve maximum potency.
• Keep this product in a cool, dark, dry place.
This product is 100% natural and minimally processed:
Taste, smell, texture, and color may vary from batch to batch. Go here to learn why our products may naturally vary.
The Important Protections we take to Bring
Please go here to discover the important steps we take to deliver fresh, quality nutrition.
Need to order a large
Sources & References
1. Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim 1959
2. Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable 1974 ISBN 0094579202
3. Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications 1990 ISBN 0-9628087-0-9
4. Low. T. Wild Food Plants of Australia. Angus and Robertson. 1989 ISBN 0-207-14383-8
5. Popenoe. H. et al Lost Crops of the Incas National Academy Press 1990 ISBN 0-309-04264-X
6. Tahraoui A, El-Hilaly J, Israili ZH, Lyoussi B., Ethnopharmacological survey of plants used in the traditional treatment of hypertension and diabetes in south-eastern Morocco (Errachidia province). J Ethnopharmacol. 2006 Sep 23
7. Gonzales GF, Valerio LG Jr., Medicinal plants from Peru: a review of plants as potential agents against cancer. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2006 Sep;6(5):429-44
8. Rubio J, Caldas M, Davila S, Gasco M, Gonzales GF., Effect of three different cultivars of Lepidium meyenii (Maca) on learning and depression in ovariectomized mice.BMC Complement Altern Med. 2006 Jun 23;6:23.
9. Rubio J, Riqueros MI, Gasco M, Yucra S, Miranda S, Gonzales GF., Lepidium meyenii (Maca) reversed the lead acetate induced damage on reproductive function in male rats. Food Chem Toxicol. 2006 Jul;44(7):1114-22. Epub 2006 Feb 28.
10. Zhang Y, Yu L, Ao M, Jin W., Effect of ethanol extract of Lepidium meyenii Walp. on osteoporosis in ovariectomized rat. J Ethnopharmacol. 2006 Apr 21;105(1-2):274-9. Epub 2006 Feb 8.
11. Gonzales C, Rubio J, Gasco M, Nieto J, Yucra S, Gonzales GF., Effect of short-term and long-term treatments with three ecotypes of Lepidium meyenii (MACA) on spermatogenesis in rats., J Ethnopharmacol. 2006 Feb 20;103(3):448-54. Epub 2005 Sep 19.
12. Chung F, Rubio J, Gonzales C, Gasco M, Gonzales GF., Dose-response effects of Lepidium meyenii (Maca) aqueous extract on testicular function and weight of different organs in adult rats., J Ethnopharmacol. 2005 Apr 8;98(1-2):143-7.
13. Ruiz-Luna AC, Salazar S, Aspajo NJ, Rubio J, Gasco M, Gonzales GF., Lepidium meyenii (Maca) increases litter size in normal adult female mice., Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2005 May 3;3:16.
14. Bustos-Obregon E, Yucra S, Gonzales GF., Lepidium meyenii (Maca) reduces spermatogenic damage induced by a single dose of malathion in mice., Asian J Androl. 2005 Mar;7(1):71-6.
15. Effects of different varieties of Maca (Lepidium meyenii) on bone structure in ovariectomized rats. Gonzales C, CÃ¡rdenas-Valencia I, Leiva-Revilla J, Anza-Ramirez C, Rubio J, Gonzales GF. Forsch Komplementmed. 2010;17(3):137-43. Epub 2010 Jun 16. PMID: 20616517 [PubMed "“ indexed for MEDLINE
16. Influence of colour type and previous cultivation on secondary metabolites in hypocotyls and leaves of maca (Lepidium meyenii Walpers). ClÃ©ment C, Diaz Grados DA, Avula B, Khan IA, Mayer AC, Ponce Aguirre DD, Manrique I, Kreuzer M. J Sci Food Agric. 2010 Apr 15;90(5):861-9. PMID: 20355123
17. Effect of different fractions from hydroalcoholic extract of Black Maca (Lepidium meyenii) on testicular function in adult male rats. Yucra S, Gasco M, Rubio J, Nieto J, Gonzales GF. Fertil Steril. 2008 May;89(5 Suppl):1461-7. Epub 2007 Jul 31. PMID: 17669402
18. Aqueous and hydroalcoholic extracts of Black Maca (Lepidium meyenii) improve scopolamine-induced memory impairment in mice. Rubio J, Dang H, Gong M, Liu X, Chen SL, Gonzales GF. Food Chem Toxicol. 2007 Oct;45(10):1882-90. Epub 2007 Apr 20. PMID: 17543435
19. Valentova K, Ulrichova J. Smallanthus sonchifolius and Lepidium meyenii - prospective Andean crops for the prevention of chronic diseases. Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub 2003;147:119"“30.
20. Smith E. Maca root: Modern rediscovery of an ancient Andean fertility food. J Amer Herbalists Guild 2003;4:15"“21.
21. Piacente S, Carbone V, Plaza A, Zampelli A, Pizza C. Investigation of the tuber constituents of maca (Lepidium meyenii Walp.). J Agric Food Chem 2002;50:5621"“5.
22. Gonzales GF, Cordova A, Vega K, et al. Effect of Lepidium meyenii (maca) on sexual desire and its absent relationship with serum testosterone levels in adult healthy men. Andrologia 2002;34:367"“72.
23. Gonzales GF, Cordova A, Vega K, et al. Effect of Lepidium meyenii (maca), a root with aphrodisiac and fertility-enhancing properties, on serum reproductive hormone levels in adult healthy men. J Endocrinol 2003;176:163"“8.
24. Gonzales GF, Cordova A, Gonzales C, et al. Lepidium meyenii (maca) improved semen parameters in adult men. Asian J Androl 2001;3:301"“3.
25. Cicero AF, Piacente S, Plaza A, et al. Hexanic maca extract improves rat sexual performance more effectively than methanolic and chloroformic maca extracts. Andrologia 2002;34:177"“9.
26. Gonzales GF, Ruiz A, Gonzales C, et al. Effect of Lepidium meyenii (maca) roots on spermatogenesis of male rats. Asian J Androl 2001;3:231"“3.
27. Ruiz-Luna AC, Salazar S, Aspajo NJ, et al. Lepidium meyenii (maca) increases litter size in normal adult female mice. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2005;3:16.
28. Lopez-Fando A, Gomez-Serranillos MP, Iglesias I, et al. Lepidium peruvianum Chacon restores homeostasis impaired by restraint stress. Phytother Res 2004;18:471"“4.
29. Gonzales GF, Miranda S, Nieto J, et al. Red maca (Lepidium meyenii) reduced prostate size in rats. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2005;3:5.
30. Gonzales GF, Cordova A, Gonzales C, et al. Lepidium meyenii (maca) improved semen parameters in adult men. Asian J Androl 2001;3:301"“3.
31. Williams RE, Kalilani L, DiBenedetti DB, Zhou X, Fehnel SE, Clark RV. Healthcare seeking and treatment for menopausal symptoms in the United States. Maturitas. 2007 Dec 20;58(4):348-58.
32. Rossouw JE, Anderson GL, Prentice RL, et al. Risks and benefits of estrogen plus progestin in healthy postmenopausal women: principal results From the Women's Health Initiative randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2002 Jul 17;288(3):321-33.
33. Anderson GL, Limacher M, Assaf AR, et al. Effects of conjugated equine estrogen in postmenopausal women with hysterectomy: the Women's Health Initiative randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2004 Apr 14;291(14):1701-12.
34. Chlebowski RT, Kuller LH, Prentice RL, et al. Breast cancer after use of estrogen plus progestin in postmenopausal women. N Engl J Med. 2009 Feb 5;360(6):573-87.
35. Therapeutic Effects of Pre-Gelatinized Maca (Lepidium peruvianum Chacon) used as a non-hormonal alternative to HRT in perimenopausal women-Clinical Pilot Study. Int J Biomed Sci. 2006 Jun;2(2):143-59.
36. Balick MJ, Lee R. Maca: from traditional food crop to energy and libido stimulant. Altern Ther Health Med. 2002 Mar-Apr;8(2):96-8.
37. Gonzales GF, CÃ³rdova A, Vega K, Chung A, Villena A, GÃ³Ã±ez C, Castillo S. Effect of Lepidium meyenii (MACA) on sexual desire and its absent relationship with serum testosterone levels in adult healthy men. Andrologia. 2002 Dec;34(6):367-72.
38. Comhaire FH, Mahmoud A. The role of food supplements in the treatment of the infertile man. Reprod Biomed Online. 2003 Oct-Nov;7(4):385-91.
39. Wang Z, Yang J, Wang G, Bian L. Influence of Lepidium meyemii walp on lipid and bone mass in ovariectomized rats.Wei Sheng Yan Jiu. 2009 Jul;38(4):420-2, 425.
40. Zheng BL, He K, Kim CH, et al. Effect of a lipidic extract from lepidium meyenii on sexual behavior in mice and rats. Urology. 2000 Apr;55(4):598-602.
41. Meissner HO, Mscisz A, Reich-Bilinska H, et al. Hormone-balancing effect of pre-gelatinized organic Maca (Lepidium peruvianum Chacon): (II) physiological and symptomatic responses of early-postmenopausal women to standardized doses of Maca in double blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, multi-centre clinical study. Int J Biomed Sci. 2006 Dec 15;2(4):360-74.
42. Meissner HO, Kedzia B, Mrozikiewicz P, Mscisz A. Short and long-term physiological responses of male and female rats to two dietary levels of pre-gelatinized Maca (Lepidium Peruvianum Chacon). Int J Biomed Sci. 2006 Feb 15;2(1):15-29.
43. Meissner HO, Mrozikiewicz P, Bobkiewicz-Kozlowska T, et al. Hormone-balancing effect of pre-gelatinized organic Maca (Lepidium peruvianum Chacon): (I) biochemical and pharmacodynamic study on Maca using clinical laboratory model on ovariectomized rats. Int J Biomed Sci. 2006 Sept 15;2(3):260-84.
44. Lopez-Fando A, Gomez-Serranillos MP, Iglesias I, Lock O, Upamayta UP, Carretero ME. Lepidium peruvianum chacon restores homeostasis impaired by restraint stress. Phytother Res. 2004 Jun;18(6):471-4.
45. Ruiz-Luna AC, Salazar S, Aspajo NJ, Rubio J, Gasco M, Gonzales GF. Lepidium meyenii (Maca) increases litter size in normal adult female mice. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2005 May 3;3:16.
46. Zhang Y, Yu L, Ao M, Jin W. Effect of ethanol extract of Lepidium meyenii Walp. on osteoporosis in ovariectomized rat. J Ethnopharmacol. 2006 Apr 21;105(1-2):274-9.
47. Tellez MR, Khan IA, Kobaisy M, Schrader KK, Dayan FE, Osbrink W. Composition of the essential oil of Lepidium meyenii (Walp). Phytochemistry. 2002 Sep;61(2):149-55.
48. Valentova K, Buckiova D, Kren V, Peknicova J, Ulrichova J, Simanek V. The in vitro biological activity of Lepidium meyenii extracts. Cell Biol Toxicol. 2006 Mar;22(2):91-9.
49. Vecera R, Orolin J, Skottova N, et al. The influence of maca (Lepidium meyenii) on antioxidant status, lipid and glucose metabolism in rat. Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2007 Jun;62(2):59-63.
50. Rubio J, Dang H, Gong M, Liu X, Chen SL, Gonzales GF. Aqueous and hydroalcoholic extracts of Black Maca (Lepidium meyenii) improve scopolamine-induced memory impairment in mice. Food Chem Toxicol. 2007 Oct;45(10):1882-90.
51. Lockhart IA, Mitchell SA, Kelly S. Safety and tolerability of donepezil, rivastigmine and galantamine for patients with Alzheimer's disease: systematic review of the "˜real-world"' evidence. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2009;28(5):389-403.
52. Rubio J, Qiong W, Liu X, et al. Aqueous extract of black Maca (Lepidium meyenii) on memory impairment induced by ovariectomy in mice. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2008 Oct 9.
53. Wang Z, Yang J, Wang G, Bian L. Influence of Lepidium meyemii walp on lipid and bone mass in ovariectomized rats. Wei Sheng Yan Jiu. 2009 Jul;38(4):420-2, 25.
54. Gonzales-Castaneda C, Gonzales GF. Hypocotyls of Lepidium meyenii (maca), a plant of the Peruvian highlands, prevent ultraviolet A-, B-, and C-induced skin damage in rats. Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed. 2008 Feb;24(1):24-31.
55. Meissner HO, Kapczynski W, Mscisz A, Lutomski J. Use of gelatinized Maca (Lepidium peruvianum) in early postmenopausal women "“ a pilot study. Int J Biomed Sci. 2005 Jun 15;1(1):33-45.
56. Meissner HO, Mscisz A, Reich-Bilinska H, et al. Hormone-balancing effect of pre-gelatinized organic Maca (Lepidium peruvianum Chacon): (III) clinical responses of early-postmenopausal women to Maca in double blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, crossover configuration, outpatient study. Int J Biomed Sci. 2006 Dec 15;2(4):375-94.
57. Brooks NA, Wilcox G, Walker KZ, Ashton JF, Cox MB, Stojanovska L. Beneficial effects of Lepidium meyenii (Maca) on psychological symptoms and measures of sexual dysfunction in postmenopausal women are not related to estrogen or androgen content. Menopause. 2008 Nov-Dec;15(6):1157-62. 58. Dording CM, Fisher L, Papakostas G, et al. A double-blind, randomized, pilot dose-finding study of maca root (L. meyenii) for the management of SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction. CNS Neurosci Ther. 2008 Fall;14(3):182-91.
* Reviews & Success Stories DisclaimerProduct reviews solely reflect the views and opinions expressed by the contributors and not those of Z Natural Foods. Z Natural Foods does not verify or endorse any claims made in these reviews. Statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition.
Earn a Discount!
Here at Z Natural Foods, we firmly believe that sharing is caring. Invite your friends to our store and be rewarded with $10 dollars as soon as they make their first order.* And if they love our products just as much as you do, you will continue to be rewarded again and again!
( Minimum amount : 10 $ )