Pumpkin seeds are a delicious, nutritious and popular seed that have been celebrated as far back as 1300 AD when utilized by the ancient Aztecs. They were used as a food and traditional medicine in many Native American tribes and South America, where they were referred to as “pepita de calabaza” meaning “little seed of squash”. Over time, they became popular in North America, Europe and the Mediterranean. They have even travelled the globe as far as Asia where they are used today as an alternative medicine. Here in the United States, pumpkins are grown for commercial consumption in nearly every state and over 100,000 acres of farmland.
One of the most outstanding uses of pumpkin seeds is making them into a pumpkin seed oil. Pumpkin seed oil has been studied by modern medicine for decades and there are an abundance of impressive results. One standout study was conducted on 76 male patients with Androgenetic Alopecia. Each patient received 400 mg of pumpkin seed oil per day or a placebo. Changes were evaluated by four outcomes: assessment of standardized clinical photographs, patient self-assessment scores, scalp hair thickness, and scalp hair counts. These outcomes were documented at both 12 and 24 weeks. After 24 weeks of double blind treatment, hair count increases of 40% were observed in men treated with 400 mg daily plant seed oil versus only a 10% increase in placebo treated men. There were no adverse effects documented by either sets of men. This study shows that pumpkin seeds could possibly help support the body’s natural regrowth of hair, which may be significant for people experiencing hair thinning or loss.
Another interesting study evaluated pumpkin seed oil for its effectiveness on human urinary disorders and overactive bladder. 45 patients were given 10g of pumpkin seed oil extract from C. maxima every day. The study was conducted over a period of 12 weeks, with measurements taken at both 6 and 12 weeks. At 12 weeks, urinary function was evaluated using Overactive Bladder Symptom Score (OABSS). Results from this study suggest that pumpkin seed oil extracts from C. maxima as well as from C. pepo may possibly be effective for supporting urinary disorders in humans.
These are just a few of the many therapeutic benefits pumpkin seeds may offer. They’re a fantastic way of adding flavor along with nutrition in your daily foods.
Some possible traditional uses of Raw Organic Pumpkin Seed Kernels (Pepitas) may include:
- May support a healthy urinary system
- Possibly helps the body avert urinary disorders
- May support a healthy prostate
- May support a healthy cardiovascular system
- Source of Vitamins E, C, D, K, and B, protein, healthy fats
- Source of zinc, magnesium, tryptophan, calcium, potassium, copper, niacin, phosphorus, manganese, iron
- May support the body's natural production of testosterone
- May support healthy hair growth
- May support the body's ability to hinder hair loss
Constituents of Pumpkin seeds include:
- Minerals: Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium
- Vitamins: Vitamin C, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B-6, Folate, Choline, Vitamin A (RAE), Beta & Alpha carotene, Vitamin A (IU), Lutein & Zeaxanthin, Vitamin E, Beta Tocopherol, Gamma Tocopherol, Delta Tocopherol, Vitamin K
- Amino Acids: Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine,. Lysine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Arginine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, Serine
- Fatty Acids: Palmitic, Stearic, Oleic, Linoleic
Suggested Use: Open bag and enjoy! To roast, bake in oven at 300º F for 10 minutes. Keep a close eye on the seeds while in the oven to prevent burning. Season to taste.
Other preparations: In a frying pan melt some coconut oil then add in 1-2 cups of our organic pumpkin seeds until golden brown. Sprinkle a pinch of our himalayan sea salt. Serve warm and enjoy.
Botanical Name: Cucurbita pepo L.
Other Names: Pepitas.
Ingredients: Raw Pumpkin Seed Kernels.
Origin: Grown in China. Packaged with care in Florida, USA.
Certifications: USDA Certified Organic.
Z Natural Foods strives to offer the highest quality organically grown, raw, vegan, gluten free, non-GMO products available and exclusively uses low temperature drying techniques to preserve all the vital enzymes and nutrients. Our Raw Pumpkin Seed Kernels pass our strict quality assurance which typically includes testing for botanical identity, heavy metals, chemicals and microbiological contaminants. ZNaturalFoods.com offers raw organic Pumpkin Seeds packaged in airtight stand-up, resealable foil pouches for optimum freshness. Once opened, just push the air out of the pouch before resealing it in order to preserve maximum potency. Keep your organic raw Pumpkin Seed Kernels in a cool, dark, dry place.
Earn a Discount!
Here at Z Natural Foods, we firmly believe that sharing is caring. Invite your friends to our store and be rewarded with $10 dollars as soon as they make their first order.* And if they love our products just as much as you do, you will continue to be rewarded again and again!
( Minimum amount : 10 $ )