Pumpkins -- History and Fun Facts
Fall is the best season of the year. It’s when the leaves are changing, apples are perfect for picking and the weather is just right for a nice hike.
Pumpkins are part of the Cucurbita family (also including squash and cucumbers) is a beautiful family of foods that are harvested during the fall and provides us with an abundant amount of seasonal nourishment.
As the tale of thanksgiving was told, pumpkins were a staple in the Native American diet before the pilgrims landed. This precious food has a very short harvest period but a very long growing season to produce the perfect mature pumpkin.
While there are many varieties (42 to be exact), on average it takes about 90-120 days to produce the perfect pumpkin (regardless of size). Because they thrive in warm soil, you want to make sure there is no more frost and the soil temp is at least 70 degrees.
Did you know…………
- The largest pumpkin ever grown weighed 1140 pounds
- Pumpkin flowers are edible
- Pumpkins are 90% water
- The largest pumpkin pie on record was over 5 feet in diameter and 350 pounds- It used 80 pounds of pumpkin, 36 pounds of sugar, 12 dozen eggs and 6 hours to bake.
Pumpkins are rich in omega 6 and omega 9 fatty acids
Fatty acid profile:
Pumpkins are a wonderful and unique source of fatty acids. This food is not about getting your omega 3 fatty acids, but rather, it is a wonderful source of the unique omega 6 & 9 fatty acid compounds found in plants. While only found in larger amounts within the whole food, pumpkin seeds (which provides the main source for its protein) are made up of around 40% of these important fatty acids.
The four specific fatty acids that makeup 98% of this food’s fatty acid profile are:
- linoleic acid
The fatty acids from pumpkin also include these powerful antioxidants:
- beta carotene
- beta-gamma and
- delta tocopherols.
The Perfect food for every lifestyle:
Whether you are living the vegan, paleo, keto or Mediterranean lifestyle, this whole food powerhouse has got you covered. Pumpkin powder is comprised of mostly protein and fats with high-quality nutrient-rich fiber, essential minerals, and antioxidants. With its nourishing value and versatility, the team at Z Natural Foods believe pumpkin powder is a superstar in the superfood world.
Possible Nourishing Benefits of Our Organic Pumpkin Power
- Quality source of Magnesium, Potassium, and Zinc
- Quality source of plant-based Omega 6 & 9 fatty acids
- Quality source of whole food fiber
- Contains all 9 essential amino acids
- May support healthy hair, skin and nail health
- May support quality lean muscle tissue growth
- May support healthy blood sugar levels
- May support prostate health
- May support a healthy inflammation response
- May support healthy lipid levels
Suggested Use: Add one ounce (about 4 level tablespoons) to 8 ounces of water, or until desired consistency is reached. For cooking, baking and your favorite recipes, replace 1/4 cup of flour for pumpkin powder.
Mixing suggestions: To increase flavor and nutritional profile combine with our organic extra rich cacao, banana flakes, and lucuma powders.
Miscellaneous Facts about our Organic Pumpkin Powder
Ingredients: Organic Pumpkin.
Parts Used: Whole fruit (no seeds).
Botanical Name: Cucurbita pepo L.
Other Names: Pumpkin.
Origin: Grown and dried in China. Packaged with care in Florida, USA.
How to Maintain Optimum Freshness:
- This product is packaged in airtight stand-up, resealable foil pouches for optimum freshness.
- Once opened, just push the air out of the pouch before resealing it in order to preserve maximum potency.
- Keep this product in a cool, dark, dry place.
- This product is natural and minimally processed.
- Taste, smell, texture, and color may vary from batch to batch. Go here to learn why our products may naturally vary.
The Important Protections we take to Bring you Safe & Nutritious Superfoods:
Please go here to discover the important steps we take to deliver fresh, quality nutrition.
Need to order a large quantity of our products? We’d be happy to help! Please contact our Bulk department to discuss the details.