If you have picky eaters in your home, this recipe is a great way to incorporate veggies into their diet.
Pesto is good in so many recipes, not just pasta. Add it to pizza, wraps, salads and sandwiches!
This pesto comes together easily using our very own Organic Spinach Powder and Organic Broccoli Powder. Another key ingredient in this recipe is our Organic Raw Pine Nuts, they add a nutty creamy flavor as well as texture to the pesto and it’s truly not the same without them.
This pesto is packed with protein, iron, Vitamin C, Vitamin K and zinc from both the broccoli and spinach. The pine nuts are a great addition to the pesto as they provide healthy fats, protein, fiber and magnesium.
While most pesto recipes include parmesan, this one is completely dairy free and vegan, but if you want some extra nutrition/cheesy flavor, feel free to add our Nutritional Yeast Flakes.
- 1½ tbsp organic spinach powder
- ½ tbsp organic broccoli powder
- ½ cup organic raw pine nuts
- ¼ tsp organic garlic powder
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- Juice of half a lime
- Extra fine gourmet himalayan salt to taste
- Organic black pepper powder to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil - move to before pasta
- ½ lb. pasta
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped (optional)
- Nutritional yeast flakes or parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water with a ½ tsp. of extra fine gourmet himalayan salt to boil. Add broccoli and cook until bright green (about 2 minutes). Using a slotted spoon, remove from water and add to the food processor.
- In the same large pot of boiling water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Before draining, reserve ¼ cup of pasta water
- Meanwhile, in the food processor, add remaining pesto ingredients: basil leaves, organic spinach powder, organic broccoli powder, organic raw pine nuts, organic garlic powder, lime juice, himalayan salt and black pepper, olive oil, and 2 to 3 tbsp. of water. Process or blend until it forms a smooth paste. Taste and add more salt or lime juice if desired.
- Add 2 tbsp. of olive oil to a saucepan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add chopped garlic and cook for a few seconds, then add pesto and cooked pasta. Mix everything together until well incorporated and add 2 to 3 tbsp. of pasta water so that the sauce is creamy. Remove from heat and serve.
- Top with nutritional yeast flakes or parmesan cheese.