Flan is a popular dessert in Latin America, it is a sweet caramel custard that is silky smooth and perfect for any occasion.
It is also very easy to make and only requires a few ingredients. This flan is made using our organic coconut milk powder, our whole milk powder to make sweetened condensed milk, eggs, and our organic shredded coconut to add a nice texture and coconut flavor.
Our whole milk powder is a great pantry staple to have as it is nutritious and tasty but also lasts up to 18 months in your pantry. It’s great to have for cooking and baking but also a great emergency food. For this flan recipe, we used it to make sweetened condensed milk by just adding water and sugar to it until it reached the desired consistency and sweetness!
Silky Smooth and Delicious Flan
The key to a smooth and silky flan is that it’s steamed in a hot water bath, this allows the custard to cook at an even and constant temperature. Another key to give the flan a smooth, and even consistency is to beat all of the ingredients well, making sure there are no lumps or streaks.
The caramel topping of the flan is probably the trickiest part of the recipe, the key is to melt the sugar evenly and watch closely so it doesn’t burn. The caramel sets up hard in the baking dish before filling it with the egg and milk mixture, but as it steams the caramel will soften again.
Here’s what you need and how to make you own Christmas Coconut Flan:
Coconut Flan Ingredients:
- 1 cup organic coconut milk powder
- ¾ cup warm water to make coconut milk
- Pinch of gourmet himalayan salt (fine)
- 2 tbsp organic shredded coconut
- ½ cup sugar (for caramel)
- 4 eggs
For condensed milk:
- 1 cup whole milk powder
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup water
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add a thin layer of sugar, once it begins to melt and become translucent, sprinkle another layer of sugar until liquefied. Repeat this process until all sugar is added to the pan. If some parts of the sugar aren’t melting, stir it evenly until all the sugar has melted. Cook the mixture until golden in color. Quickly and carefully pour the hot caramel into a 9 inch round baking dish turning the dish to evenly coat the bottom. Set aside.
- To make coconut milk, whisk coconut milk powder and warm water in a bowl.
- To make the condensed milk, add water and sugar to a saucepan and boil it until the sugar dissolves. Remove this mixture from the heat and whisk in the whole milk powder until you get a thick consistency. If the condensed milk is too thick, just add a little bit more water.
- In a large mixing bowl beat eggs, condensed milk, coconut milk, a pinch of salt and shredded coconut until smooth. Pour this mixture into a baking dish and cover with aluminum foil.
- To cook the flan you will need a large enough pan that will fit the baking dish. While the pan is off the heat, fold 2 paper towels and place them in the bottom of the pan, place the baking dish on a paper towel and cover the pan.
- Add hot water to the pan until it reaches the sides of the baking dish about halfway. Make sure the water does not go into the baking dish. Now, turn the stove on to low heat and cook for 35 to 45 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, check to see if the center is done. Remove the baking dish from the water and let it cool down before transferring to the refrigerator to cool for 2 hours.
- Once the flan is ready to serve, run a knife all along the edge, then invert onto a plate to serve.