This is a tasty cheesy-flavored, very pretty dish and is extremely easy to make. For this recipe, a delicious acorn squash is stuffed with turnip, yeast, onion and onion powder.
With just 8 ingredients, this easy recipe takes about 60 minutes to make, including 45 minutes of oven bake time.
- 2 turnips peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 onion sliced thin
- 3 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1 medium Acorn Squash, both ends removed, keeping a layer of flesh intact at the bottom and deseeded from the top end with a spoon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut both ends off the Acorn squash
- With a spoon, remove the seeds and keep a thin layer of the flesh intact at the bottom
- Lightly salt the interior
- Set the Acorn squash aside
- Peel and chop the turnips into small cubes
- Chop the onion into ¼ “ pieces
- Heat a saute pan on med high
- Add the onions reducing the heat to medium.
- After a few minutes add the turnips and let it saute until it begins to become soft and translucent on the edges.
- Remove from heat and add the nutritional yeast, a pinch of nutmeg, garlic and salt, and pepper to taste.
- Blend well and let cool.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Once it is cool enough to handle, take the squash and with the fleshy layer at the bottom of the pan, stuff them with the turnips gently with pressure, stuffing in as much as possible
- Cook standing up in a heatproof dish for 45 minutes until the acorn squash is soft to the touch. To test this, you can take two spoons and press them against each side of the squash to assess the softness.
How to Enjoy Your Stuffed Acorn Squash
Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Then lay them down and slice them thickly and plate them nestled against your favorite rice.
I personally enjoy this squash recipe with Forbidden rice -- which was once reserved for Chinese royalty -- because of its unique deep purple color due to its anthocyanins content (even higher than blueberries!).
Yummy, yummy...I love this dish...eat the skin of the squash, it’s a very satisfying, comforting dish.
About Denise Girard, ZNF Master Chef
Denise Girard is a classically trained chef and an award-winning film writer. Certified by the Institute of Integrative Nutrition (IIN) as a Holistic Health Practitioner (CHHP), Denise brings a unique set of training and skills to the food industry.
Being trained worldwide, she has been advised and educated by leading Medical and Naturopathic doctors in North America and Western Europe, including England, Switzerland, Italy
As the Master Chef at Z Natural Foods, Denise is dedicated to providing whole food nourishment. In fact, part of her daily routine her whole life, Denise sought high quality foods: Erewhon in Los Angeles, the markets of Paris, Swiss health food stores, Neal's Yard in London, going all the way back to her childhood in Philadelphia at the 9th St markets: these were always places of great joy. As an adult, she learned that buying the best quality food for yourself is, in fact, your best health insurance policy.
Throughout her world travels, Denise was particularly interested in traditional healing foods and has come to a very simple conclusion: Food is the game changer.
Denise is passionate about creating a new generation of superfood snacks (such as the ZNF exclusive Raspberry Quinoa Clusters, Fusion Bars and Vegan Fusion Bites). Denise leads Z Natural Foods’ efforts in transforming high quality, nutrient-dense, raw, whole food powders into nourishing, tasty ‘functional foods’ -- packed with bio-available building blocks to support true fueling and adaptation. She is driven to combine delicious solutions with balanced, healthy recipes.
To contact Denise about a special formula that matches your vision, you are invited to call 888-963-6637.