- For more than 4,000 years, coconut water has been revered as a natural source of nutrition, wellness, beauty and hydration.
- Found throughout tropic and subtropic areas around the world, the coconut is known for its great versatility as seen in the many domestic, commercial, and industrial uses of its different parts.
- Coconuts which are part of the daily diet of many people are different from any other fruits because they contain a large quantity of "water" and when immature they are known as tender-nuts or jelly-nuts and may be harvested for their juice... More Info
Some scientists like to refer to the coconut as a water dispersal fruit and seed. Botanically speaking, a coconut is a fibrous one-seeded drupe, also known as a dry drupe. However, when using loose definitions, the coconut can be all three: a fruit, a nut, and a seed. The FDA defines a coconut as a nut though it is not a true nut scientifically speaking. A true nut, such as the acorn, does not open at maturity to release its seeds. A nut can be defined as a fruit and with that loose definition, coconut can also be a nut.
Coconut water, not to be confused with the far richer coconut milk, is the clear, juice stored in the interior or endosperm of very young (green) coconuts. Coconut water has long been a staple drink in Southeast Asian nations and is one of nature's most refreshing drinks consumed worldwide for its nutritious and health benefiting properties.
Coconut's delicious water is obtained by opening a tender, green, healthy, and undamaged coconut.The liquid is clear, sweet, and sterile and composed of unique compounds such as simple sugars, vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, enzymes, amino acids, and cytokine. In general, young and slightly immature nuts are harvested for drinking purpose when they are about 5-7 months of age.
Fat-free, cholesterol-free, low-calorie, super-hydrating, naturally rich in electrolytes, the benefits of coconut water, seem endless. Dubbed "nature's sports drink" and "life-enhancer" by marketers, its no wonder why celebrities have replaced their acai berry drinks and Kabbalah water with coconut water. In times of famine and war, coconut water has been used as an intravenous fluid and saved many lives. It's the only natural substance that can be safely injected into the human bloodstream. Coconut water is commonly offered to patients with diarrhea in many tropical regions to replace fluid loss from the gastrointestinal tract and reduce the need for intravenous therapy. The osmolarity of tender coconut water is slightly greater than that of WHO recommended ORS (Oral Rehydration Therapy) osmolarity. Presence of other biological constituents like amino acids, enzymes, minerals, and fatty acids may account for this higher osmolarity. However, unlike WHO-ORS, its water is very low in sodium and but is a natural source of sugars and amino acids.
Coconut water is composed of many naturally occurring bioactive enzymes such as acid phosphatase, catalase, dehydrogenase, diastase, peroxidase, RNA polymerases, etc. Altogether, these enzymes aid in digestion and metabolism.
Despite very light consistency, its water has a better composition of minerals like calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, and zinc than some of the like oranges. Coconut water may have phenomenal properties that may support a healthy detoxification response resulting in better circulation, healthier organs and clearer skin.
Coconut water is also a source of B-complex vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, pyridoxine, and folates. These vitamins are essential in the sense that the requires them from external sources to replenish. In addition, fresh coconut water has a amount of vitamin-C (ascorbic acid); provides about 2.4 mcg or 4% of RDA. Vitamin C is a water-soluble antioxidant.
Research studies suggest that cytokinins (e.g., kinetin and trans-zeatin) in coconut water may show significant anti-aging, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-thrombotic effects.
Some possible traditional uses of Raw Organic Freeze Dried Coconut Water Powder may include:
- Natural source of electrolytes
- May support healthy circulation
- May support healthy PH levels
- Support the transportation of nutrients & oxygen to cells
- May help keep the connective tissues strong & hydrated
- May support a healthy detoxification response
- composition of minerals like potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, phosphorous, & zinc than other fruits
- May support proper hydration of the body
- May support healthy lipid levels
- Low in carbohydrates, sugars, & fat
- Revitalizing your cells
- A source of B-complex vitamins
- When applied topically may support healthy skin
- Reducing kidney & urethral stones
- Helping digestion & metabolism because of many bioactive enzymes such as acid phosphatase, catalase, dehydrogenase, diastase, peroxidase, RNA-polymerases
This product is 100% natural and minimally processed. Taste, smell, texture, and color may vary from batch to batch. Due to its nature, this powder tends to clump. If clumping occurs, lay the bag on a flat surface and place a towel over the bag. Then pound on the bag until the clumps break up. The towel will help protect the bag from damage. To further reduce clumping push as much air out as possible before sealing the pouch and store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Suggested Use: Mix 1 tablespoon with water, juice, yogurt, or add to your favorite smoothie. One pound of our Organic Freeze Dried Coconut Water Powder contains about 32 servings which equivalent to the coconut water from 32 fresh young coconuts. One rounded tablespoon (14 g) is equivalent to drinking all of the coconut water (12 oz) contained in an average sized young coconut.
Mixing suggestions: To increase flavor and nutritional profile combine with our organic tart cherry powder or our organic banana flakes and freeze-dried blueberry powder.
Botanical Source: Cocos nucifera.
Other Names: Coconut juice, coconut water.
Parts Used: Coconut Water.
Ingredients: Organic Freeze-Dried Coconut Water, Organic non-GMO tapioca maltodextrin derived from yuca root* and Silicon dioxide (2%).
*This product contains a small amount of tapioca maltodextrin, which is a starch made from organically grown non-GMO yuca root (cassava root). This starch acts as a drying agent and is necessary to keep this powder from clumping into hard chunks or one solid brick.
For more information about tapioca maltodextrin derived from cassava root (yuca root) click here.
Origin: Grown in Philippines and freeze-dried in the USA. Packaged with care in Florida, USA.
Certifications: Certified USDA Organic.
How to Maintain Optimum Freshness:
- This product is packaged in airtight stand-up, resealable foil pouches for optimum freshness.
- Once opened, just push the air out of the pouch before resealing it in order to preserve maximum potency.
- Keep this product in a cool, dark, dry place.
- This product is natural and minimally processed.
- Taste, smell, texture, and color may vary from batch to batch. Go here to learn why our products may naturally vary.
The Important Protections we take to Bring you Safe & Nutritious Superfoods:
Please go here to discover the important steps we take to deliver fresh, quality nutrition.
Need to order a large of our products? We’d be happy to help! Please contact our Bulk department to discuss the details.
Sources & References
1. Natural Standard Monograph; Palm Oil; Christopher Chan; 2011
2. "The Journal of Nutrition"; Consumption of a Solid Fat Rich in Lauric Acid Results in a More Favorable Serum Lipid Profile in Healthy Men and Women than Consumption of a Solid Fat Rich in Trans-fatty Acids; Nicole M. deRoos; February 2001
3. European Food Safety Authority Journal; "Scientific Opinion on the Safety of Sucrose Esters of Fatty Acids..."; 2010
4. The AOCS Lipid Library; Commodity Oils and Fats - Palmkernel and Coconut Oils; February 2011
5. "Harvard Health Letter"; Ask the Doctor: I Have Started Noticing More Coconut Oil at the Grocery Store...; Walter Willett; May 2011
6. Beccari, O. The origin and dispersal of cocos nucifera. The Philippine journal of science, C. Botany, v.7, Jan. 1917: 27- 43. http://cocos.arecaceae.com/beccari.pdf
7. Davidson, Alan. Coconut in Penguin companion to food. New York, Penguin Reference, c2002. p. 239-241.
8. Duke, James A. Cocos nucifera L. in Handbook of nuts. Boca Raton, FL, CRC Press, c2001. p. 100-109.
9. Hill, Arthur W. The original home and mode of dispersal of the coconut. Nature, v. 124, July 27, 1929: 133-134, 151-153.
10. Macbean, Valerie. Coconut cookery: a practical cookbook encompassing innovative uses of the tropical drupe Cocus nucifera, accompanied by assorted information and anecdotes ranging from hard data to the frankly frivolous. Berkeley, Frog Ltd., North Atlantic Books, c2001. 198 p.
11. Modern coconut management: palm cultivation and products. Edited by J. G. Ohler. London, Intermediate Technology Publications, 1999. 458 p.
12. Rosengarten, Frederic Jr. Coconuts in The book of edible nuts. Mineola, NY, Dover Publications, 2004. p. 65-93.
13. Woodroof, Jasper Guy. Coconuts: production, processing, products. Westport, CT, AVI Publishing Co., 1970. 241 p.
* Reviews & Success Stories DisclaimerProduct reviews solely reflect the views and opinions expressed by the contributors and not those of Z Natural Foods. Z Natural Foods does not verify or endorse any claims made in these reviews. Statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition.
The best coconut water powder. Highly recommend
Compared to other freeze dried coconut powders, this powder is very clean. Not much of a smell when dry but after reconstituting in spring water, the powder readily dissolved and produced a faint coconut water smell. There formed a small sugary glob that seems to be present with all. Taste was authentic. Color somewhat more turbid than others, possibly because a tapioca powder is added to assist with dryness. The fact that the coconut is grown and freeze dried in Florida is a big plus, as almost all, possibly all other freeze dried powders are imported, mainly from China which appears to be the biggest producer. I would prefer to see the product without tapioca, and also it would be nice to see some lab data on what is in there in terms of protein and growth hormone compared to fresh coconut water. Very good product.
Coconut Water Powder - Organic Freeze Dried
Good product to add to my morning shakes.
I've used this product for a number of years now, as has my daughter. We've both tried other coconut drinks and we always come back Z Natural Foods!