If you’re craving a fudgy dark chocolate brownie that is gluten free and vegan, this is the recipe for you!
This recipe comes together quickly and is much healthier than a regular brownie recipe.
Instead of using butter for these brownies, the fat of choice is homemade almond butter made using our raw, organic almonds.
Another essential ingredient for this recipe is ground flaxseeds. We used our organic, golden flax seeds, ground them into a powder and soaked them in water to substitute for eggs. Golden flax seeds are great in baking not only because of their binding properties, but they are also rich in Omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids and they are also a great source of fiber.
The key to the rich chocolatey taste in this brownie is our organic extra rich cacao powder. Besides being a powerful antioxidant, our amazing cacao powder is known for its ability to ‘make you smile’’ because of its mood-boosting properties.
For almond butter:
- 3 cups raw, organic almonds
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ¾ cup organic cacao powder (extra rich)
- ½ cup organic coconut palm sugar
- 2 tbsp ground organic golden flax seeds
- 6 tbsp water to soak ground flax seeds
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp organic rolled oat flour
- ½ cup organic bittersweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of extra fine gourmet Himalayan salt
For almond butter:
- Toast the almonds for 10 to 12 minutes in a 350 F oven.
- When the almonds are warm, transfer to a high speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Making sure to scrape down the sides a few times. When the almonds turn into a sticky dough consistency add 1 tbsp coconut oil and keep blending until the mixture becomes a smooth and shiny paste.
- Grind the flax seeds in a spice grinder or food processor, then soak 2 tbsp of the ground flax seeds with 6 tbsp of water for 15 minutes.
- Use a food processor to grind the rolled oats into a fine flour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F, grease and dust the baking tray with oat flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the almond butter, melted coconut oil and palm sugar together until smooth.
- Once the mixture is uniform and resembles a caramel consistency, add cacao powder. Fold in the cacao with a spatula to make sure there are no lumps and the mixture is smooth. Add the vanilla extract, salt and soaked flax seeds, whisk to combine.
- Fold in oat flour with spatula until all of the flour has been incorporated.
- Finally, fold in chocolate chips with spatula until they are evenly distributed in the batter.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and smooth into an even layer.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until completely cooked. Use a toothpick after 25 minutes to check.
- Let the brownies cool completely before slicing.
For Bulk inquiries and custom formulations click here: https://www.znaturalfoods.com/pages/bulk