You probably already know sour cream is a super versatile and a delicious dairy product that can be used in almost any recipe, including:
But did you know that sour cream powder can be used in pretty much anything that calls for traditional sour cream?
What is sour cream powder?
Sour cream powder is regular sour cream after removing the water content. This dairy product is dehydrated or powdered. The main objective is to extend shelf life and make it more convenient to use.
And, similar to our Butter Powder, Heavy Cream Powder, Buttermilk Powder, White Cheddar Cheese Powder, and Cream Cheese Powder, probably the biggest benefit is that our Sour Cream Power is demand-driven, that is, you only use what you need when you need it. The rest gets safely stored in the pantry featuring a wonderful, long-term shelf-stable life when stored in a dark, cool, dry location.
So, if you love sour cream but rarely use it because it goes bad quickly, is expensive, sometimes hard to find, or maybe you want to expand your emergency food storage, we invite you to try Sour Cream Powder.
But what exactly is sour cream powder, how effective a replacement is it, and how should you use it? Below is all the information you need to know.
How do you use powdered sour cream?
Since the sour cream has already been dehydrated, you buy it in powder form. Before using it, you’ll need to first turn it back into rehydrated sour cream. To achieve this simply add water to a specific amount and mix well until homogenous.
How to make sour cream from sour cream powder
- Add two parts of our powdered sour cream into a clean container.
- Add one part of water and whisk until everything mixes.
- You’ll notice the consistency change, and in a few minutes, you’ll have your sour cream and can start using it immediately.
- Once the powdered sour cream is reconstituted back into regular sour cream, you will have to refrigerate it as you usually would.
The beauty of using sour cream powder is you can reconstitute just what you need for each meal. It’s also a superb emergency supply food as it's excellent for longer-term storage compared to traditional sour cream.
Because you have control when reconstituting your sour cream powder you can change the consistency to be as thick or runny as you desire, and you can use as much or as little of your sour cream powder as you need. Essentially, this means you can switch up how much cream you use depending on your preference and the recipe.
What is the best way to use sour cream powder?
Sour cream powder is a wonderful and versatile dairy product that can be used in countless ways. It can be used in basically any recipe that calls for sour cream or to add flavor and creaminess to other dishes.
If you are inclined, a great way to start using sour cream powder is to incorporate it into your nachos or tacos. These are simple dishes, and you can easily control how much sour cream you want to add.
As you advance and get comfortable using your powdered sour cream, you can add it to more meals and dishes. Some excellent uses include:
- Baked and mashed potatoes
- Salads and salad dressings
- Spreads, and
It is noteworthy to mention that the consistency may initially look slightly different. However, since you are mixing everything yourself, achieving the perfect consistency is just a matter of customizing the mixing process.
Baked Potato with Sour Cream:
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream Powder
- 1 tbsp. Heavy Cream Powder
- 1 tbsp. Butter Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
- Himalayan Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Chopped Scallions
- 3 tbsp. Water
- 2-3 potatoes
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Wash and scrub potatoes until clean.
- Pierce potatoes 6 to 8 times with a fork, drizzle and rub olive oil in with hands or brush, and season with salt.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. (Cooking time depends on the size of potatoes.)
- In medium bowl, add sour cream powder, heavy cream powder, butter powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and mix well.
- Add 3 tbsp. water into a dry mixture and whisk well until it becomes smooth sour cream. (Add water or sour cream powder per desired consistency)
- Add fresh chopped scallions, mix well and keep chill. (This sour cream can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days)
- Remove potatoes from the oven, slice in half and pinch sides to open, and add sour cream on top. Ready to serve!
Note: This sour cream can be served as a dip or added on taco, burrito or wrap.
Is sour cream powder more expensive?
Another great reason why our Sour Cream Powder is so popular is because of the savings. You'll likely have unused leftovers when you’re using traditional sour cream.
At $16.99 for 32 servings, that’s only about $0.50 a serving per our Sour Cream Powder.
Additionally, using powdered sour cream saves you money as you only use what you need with minimal wastage. Over time, buying the powdered form of sour cream may prove to be more useful and even more economical for you.
And you can choose between the 1 LB (450gm), 5 LB (2.3kg), and 50 LB (22.3kg) sizes, dropping the price per serving even more with each larger size.