For this Mother’s Day, treat mom to a special, healthy sweet treat!
This delicious recipe is easy to make and you’ll only need a few key ingredients.
Carrot cake and cream cheese frosting are an incredible classic combination! – And guaranteed to bring a smile to Mom’s face.
The cream cheese frosting adds a nice tanginess that pairs well with the sweet nutty carrot cake. Plus, this awesome recipe is loaded with wholesome ingredients like carrots, chopped walnuts, and coconut palm sugar.
This creamy frosting recipe is very easy to make. Simply whip up your cream cheese powder with your heavy cream powder to make this creamy and fluffy frosting. (No need to run out to the grocery store!)
But it gets even better.
A key ingredient in this recipe is our new organic ceylon cinnamon. It has a slightly sweet taste and is great for baking. Organic ceylon cinnamon is definitely a pantry staple, not only is it a great aromatic, but it also has the lowest coumarin content of any cinnamon and has so many traditional uses!
- 2 cups organic coconut palm sugar
- 1¼ cups vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp himalayan salt - fine grain
- 1½ tsp organic ceylon cinnamon powder
- 3 cups grated peeled carrots
- 1 cup organic, raw, heirloom walnuts - coarsely chopped
- 1½ cup cream cheese powder
- ⅓ cup heavy cream powder
- 1¼ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup coarsely chopped organic, raw, heirloom walnuts (to top the cake)
- ¼ cup (4 tbsp) water
- ½ tsp lemon extract or vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease two 9 inch round cake pans, line the bottom with parchment paper, then grease the parchment paper and lightly dust it with flour.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together.
- In another bowl, whisk the wet ingredients together until combined. Add flour mixture and fold with a spatula until there are no lumps or white streaks in the batter. Then, fold in shredded carrots and chopped walnuts until evenly distributed in the batter.
- Divide the cake batter evenly into the prepared cake pans. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool for 10-15 minutes at room temperature before removing from pans, then remove parchment paper and place on a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- In a large bowl add cream cheese powder, heavy cream powder and 2 tablespoons of water. Mix together, and then use a handheld mixer to beat the cream cheese, add the rest of the water, and lemon extract until smooth.
- To this mixture, add powdered sugar ¼ cup at a time. Beat until fluffy (if the frosting is too thick, add 1 tbsp water).
- Once the cakes are completely cooled, you are ready to assemble. If the cakes have a dome at the top, use a serrated knife to cut them off until the top of the cake is even.
- Frost the cakes to your liking, we frosted the tops and finished them off with some fresh walnuts. You can also stack the layers on top of each other, with a layer of frosting in between, or you could make cupcakes (just reduce the baking time accordingly).
- Serve and enjoy with your mom!!