This classic Coconut Cream Pie offers a luscious non-dairy filling. And combined with the high quality Z Natural Foods coconut products -- you are virtually guaranteed an extremely delicious, delightful desert! This recipe is mildly sweet, if you want it sweeter, just add more sugar. In general, I go for a less intense sweetness. That said, you can always up the ante!
How to Make the Coconut Cream Pie Crust
- 1 ½ cup of organic wheat flour
- 4 oz of grass fed and finished butter
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of sugar
- ⅛ cup of ice water
This is a classic pie crust because … sometimes … it is good fun to eat a pie!
- Blend the flour, salt and sugar together.
- Add well-chilled butter in small bits.
- Work together with a pastry knife until you have pea sized crumble texture (video coming soon!).
- Add the ice water and form a dough working quickly.
- Fold into itself a few times until smooth. Do not overwork!
Starting with the dough in a round, flat form placed on a well floured surface. Rub a bit of flour on your rolling pin. Roll out the dough to an ⅛ th of an inch thickness, turning it each time a little bit as you widen the round shape. Once fully rolled, fold it in four and place it a greased pie pan. Unfold it and work the top edge with your forefinger and thumb pinching to create a more finished crust. Cut away any excess first. Prick with a fork along the bottom and sides.
Your crust is ready and the filling is a snap. You can also make this filling crustless in a well-greased, parchment lined muffin pan.
How to Make the Coconut Cream Pie Filling
- 3 cups coconut milk powder
- ½ cup fine ground chia
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ¾ cup of sugar
- ½ cup acacia
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of water
- In a blender mix all the ingredients together.
- Pour into the pie crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees until top is golden about 45 minutes
- Let cool as necessary but you can eat warm
Some suggested toppings:
- Whipped cream
- Your favorite non-dairy whipped topping
- Chopped, toasted or crumbled almonds and chocolate sauce
About Denise Girard, ZNF Master Chef
Denise Girard is a classically trained chef and an award winning film writer. Certified by the Institute of Integrative Nutrition (IIN) as a Holistic Health Practitioner (CHHP), Denise brings a unique set of training and skills to the food industry.
Being trained worldwide, she has been advised and educated by leading Medical and Naturopathic doctors in North America and Western Europe, including England, Switzerland, Italy and France, as well as, being trained using a wide array of the unique foods and spices of India. Denise also studied herbalism at the East West school of herbology in Santa Cruz and with Dr Schulze in Los Angeles, CA, gained extensive knowledge from Dr. Francesca Borella, Dr. Johanna Budwig of Germany, Dr. Schulze, and Bruce Lipton -- one of the fathers of the science of Epigenetics.
For Bulk inquiries and custom formulations click here: https://www.znaturalfoods.com/pages/bulk